MP App beginner question

By Nancy
May 2, 2013

I'm new to smartphones, definitely not savvy on tech issues, and trying to decide on an iphone model. I can estimate some of my preferences in what I want on and how I will use the phone. But I'm unclear about sizes of different apps in general, particularly the MP app. I'm really not sure how it works at all, but am totally clueless about how much space the downloads would require. I suspect I'll figure out the how-to part with a little time, but can anybody comment on the size question? I'd also be interested in how you use the app, ie, download specific areas and then delete and replace vs keeping favorite area for on-going use.

Appreciate it!

By Nancy
May 2, 2013

Thanks...it does help with the mental calculations. I could envision downloading lots in less familiar areas I'm visiting. Perhaps I'd be more selective within my home area. If beta only photos were selected, can you delete individual ones to keep only what's most useful? Also, I read through past posts but can't recall if the "best routes for you" option is available in the app.

By teece303
From Highlands Ranch, CO
May 2, 2013
Aiding.

Hey Nancy,

I have an iPhone 4 with the Mountain Project app. I've downloaded just about all of the areas near the Denver Metro area in the Front Range (Golden, Boulder, etc..). That's several thousand routes. For certain places where I've been hunting around, I downloaded every picture.

So I have not been trying to conserve space at all, I'm saying. And for me, Mountain Project is taking up 398 MB. For reference, the phone comes with at least 16,000 MB of storage in the base model.

So the storage space is not too bad. I have dictionary apps that take up more storage right out of the box.

The "find routes for you" feature doesn't seem to be in the app though.

By Nancy
May 2, 2013

That's good to hear...thanks so much. It will be a fun app to play with!

By Aaron Goldberg
May 7, 2013

How do I search areas for just sport or just trad routes?

By Aaron Goldberg
May 7, 2013

How do I search areas for just sport or just trad routes?