Mountain biking Las Vegas/St George?

By Chris M.
Feb 14, 2010
Any advice for good x-country rides on days off from climbing at Red Rock? Maps, trailheads, directions, shops?
Also might stop in St George on the way out/back. Whats the best resource to find quality rides in the area? Guidebook? Map? Shop?
Thanks for the help!

By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
Feb 14, 2010
OMG, I winz!!!
Dave Nice at Over The Edge in Hurricane can help you for St.G riding. Amazing place to MTB. Don't tell anyone, haha.

By Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi?
From Vegas
Feb 14, 2010
Growing a winter coat in Red Rock Canyon- December...
There's established mountain biking trails at "Cottonwood Canyon" ; The Black Velvet Canyon turn-off off highway 160- How convenient is that!! : ) Trails are beginner to moderate, and a few hardcore. There's a great shop, "McGhies" 5 minutes from Red Rock in Blue Diamond; I'm sure they'll have maps.

McGhies
(The video on their website is of the Cottonwood Valley/Canyon trails)

For hardcore- extremely hardcore trails ; ), check out Bootleg Canyon in Boulder City (30-40 minutes from Vegas/Red Rock) It's free to ride there, and never really crowded ( a ghost town on weekdays, it seems)I can see why...the trails are pretty damn scary; but very scenic with great hilltop views of Hoover Dam, and Lake Mead.

Here's the link to Bootleg

There's a bike shop nearby, at turn-off to Bootleg Canyon.
All Mountain Cyclery

You can download Bootleg trail maps from their site.

Have fun!

EDIT: here's some pics I posted on MP awhile back. A small sample of Bootleg Canyon trails

By Texaswall
From The Woodlands, TX
Feb 15, 2010
kivamask
I lived in St. George from March 2005 - January 2007. The climbing opportunities are very good with a variety of stone and difficulty, but I have to admit that the biking is some of the best in the country. utahmountainbiking.com/ is one of the best outdoor sport specific sites I've encountered; check it out and look for Gooseberry Mesa, and the JEM trail. Also Bear Claw, Green Valley and Stucki trails closer to town.

By Dustin B
From Steamboat
Feb 15, 2010
It's always a party.
Gooseberry mesa between hurricane and colorado city. Great slickrock style riding, lots of trails, good camping etc.

By Chris M.
Feb 15, 2010
You guys/gals rock. Thanks for the beta. Hopefully warm dry weather awaits!!