Most Memorable Dihedral You've Ever Climbed?
   Page 1 of 4.  1  2  3  4   Next>   Last>>

By Ryan Nevius
From The Range of Light
Mt. Agassiz

What's the most memorable dihedral you've ever climbed? What made it stick in your mind?

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Jan 24, 2012

Ryan, why don't you get us started with your most memorable dihedral!

But I'll add that mine was "Sheila." And "The Open Book" in Tahquitz."

By camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Jan 24, 2012
You stay away from mah pig!

Second pitch of Ocean Negro (that dihedral above Chocolate Corner at the Creek). Didn't even come close to sending it, but it had some of the hardest sandstone stemming I've ever tried.

By Alex Swan
From West
Rather Grand

www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/Mont>>>

Sorry RC had better pictures. This dihedral is absolutely amazing!! Just make it out there to Montana and do this route!

What made it memorable was my friend decking on his ass on this pitch leaving me to finish it.

Goes @ 10D

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Donkey Dihedral at Devils Lake was a major butt whipping .

By fossana
From Bishop, CA
downclimb off the First Flatiron <br />photo by TooTallTim

Open Book @ Tahquitz - partly for the historical aspect (first 5.9 in the States) and partly b/c it's a great line

Red Dihedral on the Hulk - took 3 attempts to do this route (1 bail due to slow party ahead of us, 1 partner ankle sprain on approach)

P3 of OZ on Drug Dome - my first 10c (more like 10b) lead in Tuolumne

By Colin Simon
From Boulder, CO
Just below Thunderbolt Peak

The long 5.8 corner on the casual route:

www.mountainproject.com/images/69/52/1206952_medium_f8e139.j>>>

By Andy Hansen
From Longmont, Colorado
Intruder, 5.11+. Zion National Park. Photo: Matt Kuehl

Straight Shot at the Alcohol Wall, First Creek Canyon, Red Rock. It looks reasonable from the ground but when you're up there the stems & smears become increasingly difficult because of the deceptively overhanging nature of the route. The inside crack will only accept 1/4 of a pad making holding onto it damn near impossible. If it were not for the quality and quantity of protection this route would be a certain pucker fest.

By Monty
From Golden, CO
Just a teaser

Wunsch's Dihedral Just so consistently good!

+1 on the 5.8 long dihedral on the Casual Route too!

By Jim Gloeckler
From Denver, Colo.
Jan 24, 2012

The last pitch of Perversion was cool. Not a true dihedral because most of the climbing is to the right of the dihedral proper. Not the hardest climb either. But the classic nature of the line is great.

By Dobson
From Butte, MT

Sunshine at Smith

Beautiful moves and thought-provoking protection. I took a scary fall trying to clip the first bolt during my initial attempt. When everything goes just right, it feels like 5.8.

By Bryan G
From San Jose
Puffy jackets and Happy Boulders

Lots of really good ones out there.

Hospital Corner @ the Leap

Red Dihedral on the Hulk

The Yawn and Ounce @ Tuolumne

The Good Book, Silent Freeway, Anticipation, English Breakfast Crack, Catchy Corner, Meat Grinder, Finger Lickin, Mental Block, and dozens of others in the Valley.

I've never even climbed at Devil's Tower, but that looks like a corner climbing paradise. Indian Creek also has loads but I haven't climb much their either.

Here's a couple photos

The long and spectacular second pitch. <br />The Good Book
The long and spectacular second pitch.
The Good Book

Awesome jamming on pitch 2 of Mental Block. The crack widens from 1" to 3".
Awesome jamming on pitch 2 of Mental Block. The crack widens from 1" to 3".

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
El Chorro

The Red Dihedral in the Sierras because it was, well, in the Sierras.

Jaws and Supercrack at the NRG because they were some of my first crack climbs.

3am crack and Noname crack at Indian Creek because they were my first sustained #3 cracks.

Some 10c finger crack at Gold Coast at RRG because it was my first 10c trad climb (I think).

My Banana is Happy to See You on Koh Phi Phi because it was a first ascent (or so I thought at the time).

Fancy Free and Thin Ice at the Needles because they were sick!

I should shut up now.

By Jon Marek
From SLC
gossamer

Rock Wars, RRG
Jasper's Dihedral, Blue Mounds, MN
Soler, Devils Tower

These are the first three to come to mind. I am sure plenty of you are familiar with Rock Wars and Soler, but if you ever make it to the middle of the plains in MN, Jasper's Dihedral 5.8+ is the MUST DO route for the whole area.

By TheBirdman
From Eldorado Springs, Colorado
Jan 24, 2012

I'll probably catch some flak for this because it's only about 30 feet...and bolted but:

mountainproject.com/v/flying-hawaiian/105910536

I think the combination of the fact that it's right in the middle of arguably THE crag in the northeast, the insecure climbing, and watching super-strong, 5.14 sport climbers be terrified on this makes it up there for me.

By aed
From Jackson, WY
aed

Not very difficult, but the V-Pitch on the Upper Exum is sure in a cool spot. Quite the view from up there.

By Norm Larson
From Wilson, Wy.
Jan 24, 2012

coarse and buggy in JT is another good one.

By George Bell
From Boulder, CO
Hip trouble ...

Lotus Flower Tower, although technically I suppose the endless upper crack is a splitter, not a dihedral.

By Sam B.
Chico MX

Zebra Zion Smith Rock.
www.mountainproject.com/v/105808418

By Aaron O
From Seattle, WA
Angel's Crest

+1 for Open Book at Tahquitz.

Heart and Sol in Jtree has an awesome but short dihedral section just after the slab part with some thin gear. That was awesome.

Rattletale in Index, WA is AMAZING. Three-pitches of dihedral (5.9, 10b, 10a)

By D-Storm
Jan 24, 2012
Enjoying a misty day on top of the Bookmark on Lumpy Ridge at age 14 or 15.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Quarter of a Man in Indian Creek or the "enduro corner" on Astroman so far. Astroman's changing-corners pitch is a pretty spectacular affair as well. The most epic corner I've ever tried to climb, however, is Ram Implosion Wing (5.12) in the Creek really long, steep, sandy and scary.

By Coz Teplitz
From Watertown, MA
Jan 24, 2012
Me before a cold Nov day at the Gunks, 2007.

For the northeasterners out there, I have to mention the Book of Solemnity on Cathedral.

By ryan albery
From Cruisertonfieldville
Jan 24, 2012

The middle pitches of the Nightcrawler at Red Rocks, and a route simply called Dihedral at Lake Powell

Dihedral, Lake Powell
Dihedral, Lake Powell

By Will S
From Joshua Tree

Moratorium, probably.

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
modern man

bongeater in LCC, most climbed at least

pika paradise in Lone Peak Circque

By Kevin Brooks Henry
From Iowa City, IA
close up

Queen's Throne at Devil's Lake. Pretty Easy, but so much fun. Too bad it isn't longer...

www.mountainproject.com/v/queens-throne/105730337