Missing Person-Experienced Climber, Justin Hall
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Jenny Hall
Jan 31, 2012
Hello. I am contacting you because my brother, Justin Brian Hall, age 40, has been missing since September 14th, 2011 from Leupp Road in Flagstaff, Arizona where he was housesitting for a friend. He is an avid and experienced rock climber/hiker, and I was honestly hoping someone that worked there knew him or may be able to spread the word and post his missing person poster. I also wanted you to be on the lookout for him while climbing. Initial details given to law enforcement by the person for whom he was housesitting indicated that he was depressed and walked off on his own accord. He left everything behind including his cell phone, wallet, driverís license, vehicles and car keys. Law enforcement believes he walked off, however he could possibly have been the victim of foul play. The investigation has come to a halt and they are no longer searching because they believe he left of his own accord. However, law enforcement failed to check for fingerprints nor did they interview the neighbors. There is no proof that he walked off of his own accord. The house where he was housesitting is adjacent to the Navajo Reservation. Since law enforcement has ceased searching, we are reaching out to you for assistance in spreading the word of Justinís disappearance and seeking information of his whereabouts. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your help.
Jenny Hall
booba@vabb.com
Justin's Picture
Justin's Picture

By Red
From Arizona
Jan 31, 2012
Cobra Kai
I'm so sorry to hear this Jenny! Best of luck in finding your Brother! I'll keep an eye out for him.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Jan 31, 2012
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Pea...
Very, very sorry to hear this, Jenny. We'll try to keep this thread visible on the front page. I hope you get some leads soon.

By fossana
From Bishop, CA
Jan 31, 2012
West Overhang
Jenny, you may also want to post here: summitpost.org/phpBB3/southwes...

Good luck

By Johny Q
Jan 31, 2012
My profile
I will keep an eye out. I hope he is living the dream and has not become one.

By Sean C
Feb 1, 2012
I'll keep an eye out here in Flag

By Jenny Hall
Feb 1, 2012
Thanks so much you guys. I really appreciate it.

By Crag Dweller
From New York, NY
Feb 1, 2012
My navigator keeps me from getting lost
Very sorry to read about this, Jenny. I hope that you find your brother.

By bio
From mesa, az
Feb 1, 2012
This is terrible news. Do you have any ideas which climbing and hiking areas he liked or visited?

By Daryl Allan
From Sierra Vista, AZ
Feb 1, 2012
Me and my Fetish I guess.. ;)
Sorry to hear this news, Jenny.

I'm sure we have a bulletin related to this circulating but I'll forward this around the Douglas and Sierra Vista FS offices and to our LEOs for situational awareness. Do you know if any of his hiking, camping or climbing gear was taken with him? What about shoes? Based on what shoes he owned, can you say whether he was wearing, say, dress/hiking/running shoes when he last left the house? Any other items of significance left or taken with him that you can say for sure? (ex, fishing gear, gps, firearm, etc.. anything else he was never without that is missing or present?)

Best regards,
Daryl

By Jenny Hall
Feb 2, 2012
We think he has his hiking shoes, or at least they were gone, but all of his climbing gear was at the house. He had not been climbing in awhile because he had laproscopic knee surgery on both knees (on one knee he had several surgeries) and with the injuries and scar tissue he had been having pain and had not been climbing much. Climbing is his true passion, and the reason he moved to AZ. He did hike the AT (I probably already said that). He still hikes a great deal. Oh my goodness-his favorite places, I have no idea as I live in Virginia, but he has over 10,000 pictures of areas he has hiked. I would imaginee the main areas are in and around Flagstaff, the GC, Joshua Tree, Sedona, everywhere. He does prefer the less "touristy" areas, and never backs down from a challenge, so I would imagine if he left on his own, he would go to a more remote area with a challenging hike and great views. We still aren't sure if it is foul play or not, but I felt it important to post here. Law enforcement has given up, and if anyone finds him, or if he left of his own accord, it is going to be an experienced hiker/climber. He didn't take his cellphone, wallet, keys, etc., but they didn't mean much to him. He prefers nature and doesn't place importance on material possessions. The lady for whom he was housesitting is a bit of a dingbat, and she has flip-flopped on items that have been missing, not missing, etc., so I can't really say for sure, but I know he has his old hiking shoes, and the "big yellow pig" is missing, which is a large pack that can hold water. The dingbat may have overlooked that as well though. He is an extremely intelligent individual-has a degree in aeronautical engineering, but couldn't stand sitting behind a desk, so the last few years were spent working for the City of Phoenix & City of Flagstaff as a tree-trimmer. He just wanted to be outdoors as much as possible, and found manual labor more rewarding than the drama associated with working in an office. He had not been working for awhile, as the people he was working for last,(some coffee place in Flagstaff-he fixed the coffee machines, then they stuck him in sales) treated him terribly, and increased responsibilities while decreasing pay. He has principles though, and refused to be screwed over again, so he quit. Anyway, I didn't mean to write his life story, but I wanted you to know that he is a great person who shares your passion for climbing. I find it hard to believe that he just walked away, but it is possible. And he really could be anywhere. I really appreciate all of your concern and your posts. Please keep an eye out for him.

By Angela Mabe
From Flagstaff,AZ
Feb 2, 2012
On top of Dr. Rubos
i work for the az daily sun here in flag and asked a reporter if he could run the story. It's in today's paper and also online. hope this gets the word out and i hope the best for your family.

Online Today

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Feb 2, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after...
That's really cool of you to do Angela. I hope you get some positive information soon Jenny.

By Jenny Hall
Feb 2, 2012
Thank you so much for sending that to Eric. I really appreciate the exposure. I reached out to numerous media outlets, but his was my only response.

By Loren Tragen
From Flagstaff, AZ
Feb 7, 2012
Nameless boulder on the edge of the Holy Boulders ...
I'd keep focusing around Flagstaff and Sedona because that's where the challenging and beautiful hikes are, but I'll print out and provide the article and flyer to the hospital up in Tuba City.

The downloadable flyer is available at the following website:
lostnmissing.posterous.com/mis...

By Christian
From Casa do Cacete
Feb 7, 2012
muttonface wrote:

I second that, nice work Angela.

By Ben Beard
From Superior, AZ
Nov 29, 2012
roo, my only son, the stare that takes down a herd...
justin hall's body was found, az daily sun

By KDog
Nov 29, 2012
I'm very sorry to hear this. My thoughts go to his family and friends---hopefully this news will at least give them some kind of closure from the past year. Such sad news though.

By Jenny Hall
Nov 29, 2012
Thanks for everything guys. WE really appreciate your help, prayers and support.

By 1Eric Rhicard
Nov 29, 2012
It is a good sized roof. Photo: Jimbo
Bummer. Sorry to hear about this.

By Chris Graham
From Bartlett, NH
Nov 29, 2012
portrait
Very sad news Jenny. I am sorry for your loss.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Nov 29, 2012
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV

Can't help but wonder what happened...

By Jenny Hall
Nov 30, 2012
Jon Zucco wrote:
I'm sorry for your loss Jenny. He sounds a lot like some of my best friends. I would've gladly climbed with him. Can't help but wonder what happened...

I really believe that he blew his knee out or fell or something and couldn't move or get help. He was the most physically fit person I have ever known, and his daily excercise regimen would make a marine cry. But his knees had taken tons of abuse over the years. He had laparascopic surgery on both of them. My guess is that he blew out his knee. There were no signs of foul play or injury to the skull or bones. He had a map of the area, a backpack, and a head flashlight. It wasn't unusual for him to hike at night. He was extremely intelligent, brilliant actually, but it didn't go to his head, and he didn't lord it over anyone. But his sense of humor was unparalleled. When he came home last May to visit, he spent most of the time playing with my 6 year old daughter. He was like a big kid himself. There was nothing he couldn't do. He got his degree in Aeronautical Engineering and worked for the navy on ejector seats for awhile, but he hated sitting behind a desk. He loved the outdoors. He moved to AZ and loved it there. He trimmed trees for the City of Phoenix, then moved to Flagstaff and trimmed there. He liked getting off early so he could climb as much as possible. He went rim to rim to rim in an extremely short amount of time. I wish I could remember how long it took him. And he did have a lot of climbing buddies. I couldn't find any of their contact info in his stuff we brought home. Anyway enough blabbing. I just wanted to give you some back story about him. He was a wonderful brother. He always made me laugh, and never ditched me for his friends. We had an idyllic childhood growing up on a farm with my wonderful parents. We are really going to miss him. You guys would have loved him. Oh, he did hike the Appalachian Trail too-Maine to Georgia. He was just an extraordinary person who was taken way too soon. Thank you guys again for your support. The climbing community seems like a very welcoming place. If I wasn't such an out of shape blob maybe I would give it a try.

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Nov 30, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after...
My condolences to you and really to all of us for the loss of a brother and what sounds like an excellent human being in general. Don't let the weight thing stop you Jenny. Climbing is the best there is- no matter what level you're at. You'll build friendships that will rival those of troops that have seen combat together. My best wishes to you and your family.

By Old Crusty
Nov 30, 2012
Sending thoughts and prayers your way. It'll take some time, but eventually most of the pain will receed and you'll be left with happy memories of what sounds like a great, great brother.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Nov 30, 2012
Bocan
Sorry about your loss...I'm glad that you can finally have some closure.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>