Missing haul bag at the base of The Nose

By anna82
valle dell'orco - italy

Hi,
Erik K. & Anna C. (707) 362-6471 anna.ceruti@email.it

By RockyMtnTed

anna82 wrote:

love the subtle threat! hope you get your stuff back.

By kennoyce
From Layton, UT
Climbing at the Gallery in Red Rocks

anna82 wrote:
Hi, I left a haul bag at the Pine Line tree on the morning of 9/21/12. After climbing the Nose we came back 9/23 and the haul bag was gone. I KNOW WHAT yer thinking… but it was not a bear. The name on the bag is Anna Ceruti and two ipods were in the pocket. My friend Erik has climbed and worked in the park for 8 years and never had any problems. we'd love to keep it that way. Thanks, Erik K. & Anna C. (707) 362-6471 anna.ceruti@email.it

I wonder what those tourests are going to do with their new "really big backpack". It sucks that you lost your stuff, but I kind of doubt that any climber would take a haul bag from the base of El Cap.

By Josh Kornish
The Roach

Doesn't sound like a subtle threat to me. Just someone who doesn't want their Valley experiences to be tainted by some asshole.

Don't leave anything within reach at the base of el cap. Last time I was there some ass hole tourists were filling their bags with stashed unopened bottled waters.

I know there have been many thefts of gear in Camp 4 as well.

Is there anyway to identify your bag or gear?

By Keenan Waeschle
From Bozeman, MT
on top of the RNWF <br />June 2012

yeah, the make/model of bag would be a big help. I'll be sure to beat the shit out of anyone with a scuffed up metolius el cap listening to a ipod (halfway joking there)

short side question, feel free to tell me to phuck off if it leads to thread hijack land.
Next spring I'm planning on stashing a bag at mammoth terraces for 4 or 5 days as a pre placed resupply. If I leave a note on it that says it ain't wall booty there shouldn't be a problem, should there? I don't see why there would be but I like being reassured.

By FreeRangeHuman
From safari van
Sep 24, 2012

Keenan- I'm all about tagging my gear caches with an orange laminated sign that reads "my life depends on this cache! Will be removed by (date). Problems? please contact (phone number)"

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Bocan

Keenan Waeschle wrote:

Dear thieves...please don't steal my bike.

Just saying, if they wanna take it they'll take it. It doesn't take much to disern what the deal is, but you never know. You might get someone that would respond ethically correct to your note. I'm sure there are alot of good people left in the world. I just don't like risking seeing which ones are hanging around my gear.

I'd do whatever I could to hide the hell out of it though. haha guess i'm jaded.

By Highlander
From Ouray, CO
Sep 24, 2012

I was always under the impression that in the valley, gear left unattended for more than 24 hours is considered abandoned.

By aliebling
Sep 24, 2012

Definitely disagree...at least around el cap. It's not uncommon for a team to leave something near the base when they blast (especially for climbs with longer approaches like Lurking Fear) and then retrieve it afterwards. Unless it has obviously been dropped or somehow abandoned, I don't think you should be taking any gear from el cap unless it has been sitting for at least 2 weeks...and even then you should absolutely ask around.

Anything else is thinly desguised greed and a serious disservice to your fellow big wall climber imo. That said, if you're stashing water/gear/whatever for a longer period, it behooves you to label it to remove any doubt.

Highlander wrote:

By Keenan Waeschle
From Bozeman, MT
on top of the RNWF <br />June 2012

someone would have to be a real dick to take a bag with a note left 10 pitches up el cap.

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Sep 24, 2012

i dont know, i feel like if you're doing a wall and you've blasted off, your shit should be with you or in the car. otherwise, it should be fixed to your high point.

not that i agree with taking peoples stuff, but leaving your haul bag on top of Pine Line for two days sounds like a good way to lose your haul bag and all the stuff in it.

By Highlander
From Ouray, CO

From the Yosemite NPS Website
"The Rules
Property left unattended in Yosemite for longer than 24 hours is considered abandoned and may be impounded."
"The Reasons
Stashed gear, food, water, and fixed ropes in particular, take away from the sense of risk and adventure that climbers and other Wilderness travelers expect to experience. Most of Yosemite's climbing areas are in designated Wilderness and must remain "without permanent improvements or human habitation… with the imprint of man’s work substantially unnoticeable."
Wilderness, and climbing in particular, is not intended to be convenient or easy (ironically that's why many are drawn to it). Please do your part to maintain Yosemite's wildness. In 2001 volunteers and rangers removed over four thousand feet of trash rope from Yosemite's walls, not including a few thousand feet of junk rope from the Heart Ledge rappels by conscientious climbers."

Not saying someone should take gear that does not belong to them. Many climbers don't appreciate gear caches on routes or fixed lines that are left for an extended period of time. There is no need to leave stuff laying around all over the place.

By Keenan Waeschle
From Bozeman, MT
Sep 25, 2012
on top of the RNWF <br />June 2012

Yosemite is wilderness, riiiiggghhht....

By aliebling
Sep 25, 2012

Right...if the sight of some stashed gear bugs you enough to remove it then turn it in to the rangers so the owners can get it back (after a potential fine). Don't try to use LNT or park rules about 24 hours as a reason to take stuff from your fellow climbers. If you have any doubts about something being abandoned...it probably isn't.

By CJC
Sep 25, 2012

just curious: after reading those rules...which are designed to protect YOUR experience...what do you have to say about your decision to leave gear at the base?

By 1Eric Rhicard
Sep 25, 2012
It is a good sized roof. Photo: Jimbo

Bummer, I hope you get it back. I put my name and number on everything. Initials on carabiners and gear. Stuff sometimes comes back that way.

By csproul
From Rancho Cordova, CA
Sep 25, 2012
Summit of Wolf's Head with Pingora in the background

Maybe you were a little disoriented and left it here?:

mountainproject.com/v/entire-big-wall-setup-left-all-over-sf>>>

If not, here is your chance to get some "abandoned" gear!

Just kidding, sorry your stuff is gone and it is definitely shitty that someone else took it. Hopefully it ends up with the rangers and get it back.