Missing hangers at Redrock, MA

By jim.dangle
Apr 19, 2014

I have noticed a number of hangers missing off bolts recently. Specifically the hangers from the anchors for Dark Side of the Moon and now the hanger from the second bolt for Ruby Slippers. I haven't bothered systematically checking the area but I haven't noticed any others in my travels.

I am hoping that were removed for a good reason but to paraphrase Oscar Wilde: to lose one hanger looks like misfortune but two lose three looks like carelessness. It would be strange to steal a single hanger off the middle of route. And likewise I think it unlikely the local crazy old lady and lichen activist would be able to access the middle bolts of a route (while leaving all others). In both cases the bolts themselves are fine (or look that way).

As far as I know the monetary cost for the bolts has-- as far as I know-- largely fallen on one person (not myself) so I would be happy to replace a couple of missing ones but not if someone is taking them.

Any insight?

Jim

By coldatom
From Cambridge, MA
Apr 24, 2014
Jurassic Park

Jim,
What is the deal with this lady? I posted on this last year:
mountainproject.com/v/down-under/106327877#a_108174817
Dan

By john strand
From southern colo
Apr 24, 2014

i first hit RR in the '70's..i don't remember a time when hangers DIDN'T get stolen..EVER

By jim.dangle
Apr 24, 2014

coldatom wrote:
Jim, What is the deal with this lady? I posted on this last year: mountainproject.com/v/down-under/106327877#a_108174817 "We found some fresh shit on the start of Blocks on 6/1/2013. Looked like dog shit, rather than from people. When we first got to the crag, I saw a woman by Doug's Roof, but she disappeared like a ghost when she saw us." Dan

Numerous climbers have run-ins with her. She patrols the area on the north side of the pipeline and claims she is defending lichen. She has smashed bolts anchors and wiped dog and cat shit on the base of several of the climbs, torn down flagging, and tried to obscure the paths with branches. Her latest shenanigans is slathering crisco all over the starting holds of Doug's roof and other climbs. Shit washes off in rain fairly well but it turns out crisco is surprisingly resilient. I think she is well known in the area but I have luckily always managed to avoid her. There is probably not much we can do.

Climbers do have a substantial ecological impact on areas they frequent (there have been several studies on this). And lichen is slow-growing and important microhabitat for many nice little creatures. Obviously, however, there is plenty of lichen in the woods of Redrock and the amount of habitat climbers actually impact is miniscule.

As a side note, more bolt hangers have reportedly gone missing.

Jim

By Blissab
Apr 24, 2014

Always something!

It's not like the humid weather here in New England makes the routes here spoogy enough...now we have people rubbing feces on the routes.

Nice.

By john strand
From southern colo
Apr 24, 2014

I am fascinated to find out where these hangers go..it's not like Cape Ann is sprouting sport routes.

By jim.dangle
Apr 24, 2014

john strand wrote:

It's definitely odd. Really it doesn't look like theft or someone making a statement because nearby bolts that were in some cases easier to reach and in similar condition were left alone.

Obviously bolts loosen over time-- but can they fall off on their own? Does a bad winter have any effect? I would doubt it but what do I know.

JIm

By jTaylor
Apr 26, 2014

the two bolts have been missing since this fall when i came home assuming i'm thinking of the same ones you are thinking of right above dark side of the moon. struck me as odd since about 6 feet to the left are the bolts for the unamed bolted route even though i like to use the tree myself..