Meetup for international climbing destinations?

By Zirkel
From Bishop, CA
Mar 19, 2013
Owens Gorge.  Mt Tom in background.

At this point in my life I have the interest, time off, financial means and lack of domestic responsibilities to climb abroad, maybe once a year -- but that's not, unfortunately, the case with any of my climbing partners.

I'm reading TR's and blogs, and watching videos of places like Catalunya and Getu and Geyikbayiri and thinking the only thing that's keeping me from climbing at places like these are motivated and reliable partners.

So why not solicite a group of like-minded climbers, of similar abilities and from all over the US, who would be motivated to self-organize climbing trips to various destinations throughout the year? Kinda' like an international climber meetup.

Not interested in joining a commercial trip but envision getting a few people together, renting a house in Catalunya for a week or two and getting the full value climbing and cultural immersion. Maybe even meet a few new climbing partners in the process.

You get the idea.

Anyone have an interest in getting involved in something like this?

By David Mills
From Spring, Texas
Mar 19, 2013
Last pitch of All Mixed Up, RMNP

Yes, but I LOVE this post. As it goes right now I have a lot very free time, financials, but NO partner who is even at all interested in a long climbing trip or to a place far away. So let me know if we get something going, I could definitely help out as well.

By Shawn Heath
From Forchheim, Germany
Mar 28, 2013
I couldn't resist uploading this cool silhouette my friend Aran took of me on Panische Zeiten.

I'm also interested in something like this, and since I'm already abroad it might not be so difficult. ;)

By engineer1984
From Ogden, UT
Apr 4, 2013

I'm interested! Looking into going to S. America this 'summer' (June / July / August)

By ACR
Apr 4, 2013

There are a couple regional/local groups in south east Asia and in some cities with a strong expat population (hong kong and kuala lumpur to name two). It would be great to have a group that could put climbers traveling from the states in touch with climbers already abroad.
I'm in Singapore. Let me know if I can provide any info or help in any way.

By Ben Philbrick
From lucerne, switzerland
Apr 4, 2013

i'll be in lucerne, switzerland indefinitely after june 1st. i'm definitely interested in meeting some climbers over there in europa!

By Alia
Apr 25, 2013

Hi,

I'll also be in Switzerland after June 1st and would be keen to meet up to climb. I'm thinking of heading to south-east France for a bit too.

Cheers,
Alia

By Andy Seymour
From Boulder
May 19, 2013

Hey everyone, I'm on the same page with you. I'm teaching in Vietnam, really hard to find partners so I go on most of my trips in SE Asia solo and meet others.

However, I just booked a plane ticket to Getu, China (July 17-Aug 2nd) with the understanding that there's a chance there might not be any climbers there at that time. This is the only block I have off and this place is too amazing not to check out whilst in Asia. If anyone else is interested, drop me a line!

-Andy

By Ben Philbrick
From lucerne, switzerland
May 19, 2013

sweet! feel free to email me at bennyphilbrick@gmail.com or who_cares_0@hotmail.com and maybe we can work something out! i should be up in the bernese alps for a few days upon my arrival, but after that i'll be available for just about anything!

By Mike Grainger
From Waterloo, ON Canada
May 27, 2013

To the OP
Yes, I would be interested in participating in this kind of meet up. I too have the time and resources to travel internationally for climbing and have the same issues with finding partners etc. The idea of sharing resources (lodging, transportation etc) is very appealing. Let me know what kind of communication system you are considering using to put like minded souls in touch with each other and share proposals for possible trips - are you looking at going beyond sporadic postings to this thread?

By Patrick Mcfadden
From Portland, OR
May 27, 2013

This is great, count me in. I have a great job where I work three week and then have three to climb. So far this year I have been to Potrero, red rock, and Yosemite. Heading to Ten Sleep in aug, Arapiles in sept, and Thailand in nov. Keep me posted, plans can change I can meet up anywhere.

By Christopher Gibson
From Frisco, Texas
May 27, 2013
Changing leads.

Im in, keep me posted.

By Autumn la Boheme
From Austin, TX
Jun 2, 2013
Seismic, Austin

I am so in! I'm already living abroad, but I'm having a hard time getting a group of climbers together in Mexico. I want to travel all over South America in the next year to climb!

By Sean Brokaw
From Boulder, CO
Jun 3, 2013
Personal photo

If you're talking about an international climbing destination, that is in season, then all you have to do is show up. Everything else, including partners, will just sort itself out. It's really that simple.