Mckenzie Pond Ticking Adventure

By Justin Fletcher
From Lake Placid, NY
Jul 17, 2012
fast and furious

Recently Mckenzie Pond has recently been seeing a great deal of ticking. Now I understand if you are working a really hard problem and there is a tiny foothold that you cant really putting a little white mark next to it could very well mean a send or or an end. Within the last few weeks someone has been going around with sidewalk chalk marking every hold on every route they do. Pretty soon I feel like they will be tapping the routes. There was a giant rail the other day marked with not one but two seven inch ticks. Yesterday there was a giant happy face and an eye on the first boulder. A lot of people climb in this area if you are the one drawing on the rocks and marking all the holds please at least hit them with your brush before you go. It would be nice for you to just stop all together but try to reduce your impact please.

By Justin Sanford
From Broadalbin, New York
Jul 17, 2012
Push-5.12C at Good Luck Lake Cliffs

Hey Justin, I have been noticing very similar tactics (lack of ethics) around my local bouldering areas...i.e., Nine Corners Lake, Snowy Mountain, Caroga Lake Boulders. Not sure what we can do to help prevent the further use of colored/sidewalk chalk and excessive tick marks except to keep spreading the word. Thanks for the post, I will pass the unfortunate news along and will post yet another comment on my climbing blog.

By Justin Fletcher
From Lake Placid, NY
Jul 17, 2012
fast and furious

Thanks man that's all we can really do is pass the word.

By rogerbenton
Jul 17, 2012
Whoever this guy is, he's just plain irresponsible.

SAME DEAL in central park.

some clown with sidewalk chalk making ridiculously huge ticks on the most obvious holds.

i should get a pic next time i go there, there is literally an 18" ARROW pointing to the biggest, most obvious hold on the wall.

almost as bad is how people use their chalkballs to powder a 12" radius around every hold on a wall regardless of it being a hand, a foot, or part of a problem they won't even do/try.

By Justin Fletcher
From Lake Placid, NY
Jul 17, 2012
fast and furious

The unfortunate part is that the people doing this are probably not even seeing how other people feel about it.

By Ryan A. Williams
From Burlington, VT
Jul 21, 2012
Good old butt shot of "Autumn" 5.9- at Long Wall, Red River Gorge, KY.

I've recently noticed this happening at one of the local boulders near me in backwater NW Connecticut. Someone put huge ticks on every jug and even wrote some giant illegible scribble across part of it. It has to be a climber doing this..you'd think they'd have more sense than to deface one of the most aesthetic and quality boulders in the area.

By josh villeneuve
From Enfield, CT
Jul 24, 2012

Ryan A. Williams wrote:
I've recently noticed this happening at one of the local boulders near me in backwater NW Connecticut (a pretty hush hush boulder at that). Someone put huge ticks on every jug and even wrote some giant illegible scribble across part of it. It has to be a climber doing this..you'd think they'd have more sense than to deface one of the most aesthetic and quality boulders in the area.

NW Connecticut you say, I would love to know where this is if you would be so kind. Beer, Bacon...whatever you desire hahah

By Dylan Randall