Matthes Crest Traverse Snow Levels

By oullie
Jun 13, 2014

Hi all. Wanted to see if anyone had any insider 411 on the snow conditions on the matthes crest traverse. We have been eyeing it. I called some of the gear shops in Yosemite trying to get 411 but the guides aren't around yet. The answer I've been getting is that it's been a 3 year drought so conditions should be good. I'm not reassured by that assessment. Thanks for any help you can provide.

By Greg Barnes
Jun 13, 2014
Hanging out with Karin on the summit of Warlock Needle. Photo by Josh Janes.

Nothing current, but here's a view of Tresidder to Tenaya as of 2 weeks ago (from the base of West Farthing wall). There's quite a bit of late season snow but it's not compacted so it has probably melted a ton since this photo. I'd bet you'll still have snow drifts here and there particularly as you near the south end of Matthes, but I'm just guessing. You might have a fair bit of snow if it hasn't melted too much.

Tresidder through Tenaya Peaks, 5/29/14.
Tresidder through Tenaya Peaks, 5/29/14.

By Lurker
Jun 14, 2014

How about the approach to Mt. Conness? Guessing it looks pretty similar.

By TradShep
From Clovis, California
Jun 14, 2014

Just got back from Conness last Sunday. And it's perfect some patches on the summit plateau otherwise clear. Mathes look to have some some on the buttress and the start, but most likely melted out by now and certainly passable conditions.

By aliebling
Jun 14, 2014

We did Matthes two or three weeks ago (no snow since) and there was zero snow on the climb. A fair amount on the approach cresting around unicorn - it was nice and firm when we approached early. This may all be melted and a non-issue by now.

It was glorious when we were up there. Go and get it!

By John Robinson
From Elk Grove, ca
Jun 14, 2014

I did it 2 days ago and the only snow was as I was coming down above Budd Lake but it wasn't a problem. You may see my foot prints. I made a comment on the Matthes Crest Route Guide that you might find helpful if you use Croft's guide. Any comments you can make on my comments would be appreciated.

By fossana