Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Marmot variant jacket vs. Patagonia nano puff

By Dave Wise
From Pinehurst, NC
Nov 14, 2011

Looking for a lightweight synthetic insulation jacket for cold weather rock and ice climbing. Packability and warmth to weight are most important. I was leaning towards the nano puff, but saw the marmot variant for the first time today.. Anyone have experience with either? Thoughts?

By Sunny-D
From SLC, Utah
Nov 14, 2011
Top of Jah-Man Sister Superior

I have a marmot Baffin in black large that I would sell for $50 it is in excellent condition. It is identical to the nano puff.
Dallen

By Kevin Landolt
From Fort Collins, Wyoming
Nov 19, 2011

The Variant is a completely different tool than the Nano Puff - assuming you plan on wearing this layer beneath your shell, both would be viable options, but realize that that you can wear the Nano Puff OVER your shell - and use it as a light belay jacket in the summer - while the Variant is much more specialized - for a cold weather active layer worn under a shell the Variant gets my vote because it's very breathable power stretch in the arms and back, providing synthetic fill only in from of the torso - perfect for frigid ski tours gnarly cold climbs - but you need to wear a wind shirt (like the Houdini) over it at the very least in any sort of harsh weather.

By JulianB
From Florence, SC
Nov 21, 2011
Mt. Rainier summit.

Neither, get either the Arc'teryx Atom LT or Atom SV, depending on how much warmth you are looking for.

By SexPanther aka Kiedis
Nov 22, 2011
Thumbtastic

I spent half the day today roasting in the Baffin. Rad jacket. REI was selling them way cheap a while ago. Primaloft is the shit.

By Rob Fielding
From Las Vegas, NV
Nov 23, 2011
Third pillar of dana descent.

The nano puff is great for temps between 20#35 degrees for active climbing worn underneath your soft shell or hard shell especially for the weight and how well it compresses. i used it last year on whitney in february with twenty plus winds and temps in the low thirties. i wouldnt wear it over any shell because it would get torn up. it doesnt have stretch at the arm pits so i went a size larger than i normally would.