Mark Hesse dies at BRC

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Jan 29, 2014
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

Still pretty shocked by the news. It happened on Jan. 27.

www.climbing.com/news/mark-hesse-dies-at-boulder-rock-club/

By George Bell
From Boulder, CO
Jan 29, 2014
Hip trouble ...

How tragic! My condolences.

Any MP members there to shed light on what may have happened?

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Jan 29, 2014
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

It's going to take an autopsy I think, George. It may just be incidental that he was in the gym.

By Glenn Schuler
From Monument, Co.
Jan 29, 2014
A grey fox skull wedged in a crack 100' up on a FA I was working on - don't see that every day...

Got a phone call from a buddy this morning telling me about this terrible news. Still can't believe it really. I didn't know Mark real well but climbed with him quite a few times over the years, such a positive person that always had a smile on his face. What a sad day for climbing communities all over the country. He did so much for so many areas it's hard to even comprehend.
You'll be missed, RIP my freind.

By James Crump
Jan 29, 2014

One the old school C-Springs Giants. One of my heroes

My heart goes out to all who have loved Mark.

Really sad.

RIP Mark

By ACR
Jan 29, 2014

That's so sad and sudden. I will always remember working with Mark on trail repairs in the Crestone basin. I was guiding there that summer but I lent my hands and back to help Mark and his crew anyway I could. He certainly wasn't shy about using any available space in my pack to haul tools! His enthusiasm and obvious trail building expertise will be missed. The community is poorer without him.
He used to come in to Mountain Chalet every-now-and-again when I worked there, always a wealth of knowledge. We would talk about some crazy story or local lore and after a few laughs he would say "now let me tell you how it REALLY happened!" and that version was always as good as or better than the myth.
Rest easy buddy.
A.C.

By Olaf Mitchell
From Paia, Maui, Hi,
Jan 30, 2014
rockerwaves

Mark was an inspirational figure to me as a developing rock climber!
My deepest condolences to his family and community.

By Olaf Mitchell
From Paia, Maui, Hi,
Feb 25, 2014
rockerwaves

www.opengate.org/access-fund-blog/2014/02/remembering-mark-h>>>

By rob.calm
From Loveland, Colorado
Mar 14, 2014
Mother #1 on the Nautilus at Vedauwoo. Rob is calm on this happy offwidth

According to the coronerís report Mark most likely died from blunt injuries sustained in a fall in which he was not tied into the auto-belay anchor.
www.climbing.com/news/mark-hesse-died-from-gym-fall/

There is another thread that deals with this problem. Perhaps a better place for discussion of the accident than here.

www.mountainproject.com/v/autobelay-death-in-texas/108350613>>>

Having made a similar mistake seven years ago and survived (I was 15 feet up), itís a poignant pain that I felt when reading the report. I have often thought how lucky I was that I didnít get to the top. I never met Mike personally but knew about him from reputation. Condolences to his family and friends.

Rob.calm