March Climbing Destination Recommendations?
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Rob Davis
From Brooklyn, NY
Jan 16, 2013

I'm a teacher so I get a nice break in March and am looking for a good trip. I was planning on going to Potrero, but the plane tickets are just absurd (hitting $700 roundtrip!?). I live in NYC, so it's pretty easy to find affordable plane tickets to places, but I don't have a car, so if somewhere has climbing accessible by public transportation, it would be preferred (obviously).
I climb easy/moderate trad, moderate sport, and am not opposed to bouldering.

any thoughts?

By J Watts
Jan 16, 2013

Amtrack runs from nyc to thurmond, wv which is in the heart of the new river gorge. However that is still 20 miles from lansing/fayetteville/ames heights, where the climbing is located. you could catch a ride to chestnut creek campground and then walk to the crag. Also the weather might be an issue.
Salt lake city airport is a delta hub(as is jfk);catch a quick 4 hour flight, rent a car and be at little/big cottonwood canyons in 30 minutes drive. there will still be lots of snow up high, but the lower elevations may be dry(or it may be covered in snow, depends)

By SMR
Jan 16, 2013

Vegas would provide lots of options. March usually has good weather.
Not sure about the public transportation, but car rentals are pretty reasonable.

As previously posted, SLC would be an option, but some years the Cottonwoods heaviest snowfall is the month of March, so bring your skis just in case. There is public transportation up and down the canyons.

By Rob Davis
From Brooklyn, NY
Jan 16, 2013

salt lake would be such a wash if there was lots of snow, so we're looking at places that are more likely to not have snow.

Was considering San Francisco because I have a place and lots of stuff to do when I'm not climbing. Any thoughts on bay area climbing?

By Rob Davis
From Brooklyn, NY
Jan 16, 2013

And if anyone has a trip planned and needs another pair, let me know.

By Drew Hayes
From Charlotte, NC
Jan 17, 2013
Lost in Space

if you end up at the new on a weekend when it's not raining... i'll come climb

By Andrew Gram
From Salt Lake City, UT
Jan 17, 2013
Andrew Gram

With the way this winter is going the Cottonwoods will almost certainly be covered in snow.

What is your definition of moderate? If 5.10, Moab would be a terrific destination. If less than that, Red Rocks just outside of Vegas. You'll need to rent a car for either place, but that is going to be true just about anywhere. Camping in Vegas sucks though cheap hotels abound on the strip. Plenty of camping everywhere around Moab.

By paul y.
Jan 17, 2013

This is a no- brainer to me. Red Rock has everything you are describing in terms of climbing (sport, trad, bouldering) and it's really easy access from downtown Vegas and flights are generally cheap.

I flew round trip recently from Boston for 200$ roundtrip and then spent 15/camp or 40/night for casino lodging. People tend to bag on the camping but as long as it's not too windy it's just fine and away from the dirty casinos. Cheap rental car is the way to go.

You won't regret it!

By Derek Doucet
Jan 17, 2013

Red Rock. Done.

By Kevinmurray
Jan 17, 2013

Red Rocks in march is nice.They have the Red Rocks Randevous there in march if you like that sort of thing.If you have never been to Vegas you will never experience anything as exquisetly wierd as the Vegas Strip.

By JCM
From Golden, CO
Jan 17, 2013

Andrew Gram wrote:

Yes, the unfortunate truth of climbing in the US is that renting a car will be mandatory pretty much anywhere you go.

For easy/moderate trad and moderate sport in March, Red Rocks is an obvious choice.

Other possibilities in the southwest could also include Joshua Tree, Moab/Indian Creek, Cochise Stronghold, Bishop/ORG etc. All would require a flight and a car rental. All have good climbing and good weather in March.

If you wish to save some money and skip the flight, you could also rent a car (with good gas milage!) and drive to the Red River Gorge or Chattanooga for spring break. It may be rainy...

By JCM
From Golden, CO
Jan 17, 2013

Rob Davis wrote:
Any thoughts on bay area climbing?

Absolutely not worth traveling cross-country for. If you want to go to the Bay and also find good climbing, driving over toward Yosemite would be neccesary. unfortuneately, the weather in the Valley is still iffy in March.

By Rob Davis
From Brooklyn, NY
Jan 18, 2013

JCM wrote:

Yeah that's been the consensus. I was just hoping to combine trips. I'm going to be in the valley in june if all goes well with my bank account and finding a partner.

I think that the teacher salary plus NYC cost of living is making a good climbing trip less and less of a reality, which sucks. I have a friend with a car that might be down to do a quick trip to the rrg and nrg, so hopefully that pans out.

I'd love to go to red rocks, does anyone know if there is a shuttle from vegas to red rocks that we could get and then camp? I've done vegas a few times, and always had a strange and fun time, so I'm not opposed to staying in vegas, but cheap is cheap.

By johnthethird
Jan 18, 2013

Look into chattanooga

By Logan Schiff
From NY, NY
Jan 18, 2013

I went to Red Rock Rendezvous in March a couple years ago, rented a car and camped. It was a great time, especially the quality of the climbing. A couple points:

I got a good car rental quote but as expected there were a million mandatory fees and airport taxes not included in the rate that increased the rate a lot. Still only ended up being about a modest $50 a day.

The winds were awful while camping. Gusts up to 50-60mph. Tough to get a good night's sleep and anchor the tent down very well. This may have been exceptional, but I hear it's often pretty windy and cold in March.

Bring a good fleece/down sweater and the weather will be fine during the day for climbing. Tons of great climbing options. And you can pay for the whole trip with a few hours at the craps tables!

By Rob Davis
From Brooklyn, NY
Jan 18, 2013

johnthethird wrote:
Look into chattanooga

I've climbed (and love) foster falls, but it seems pretty undoable without a car, and renting a car just to have it sit for 6 days seems silly. Isn't the campground closed till april?

By TomCaldwell
From Clemson, S.C.
Jan 18, 2013
Me on One Pitch Wonder at Whitesides.  Photo credits to Kyle Jones and his lucky anti-rain jacket.

Rob Davis wrote:

Foster's is pretty terrible when you consider the quality trad and bouldering around. If you want great sport drive north to the OBED. I know some people love Foster's because of bolts, but for aesthetic movement, this is pretty low in my opinion. You could easily travel around the Chattanooga area and the car would be useful. Check out some cliffs in Alabama like Jamestown, Steele, Sand Rock, HP40, and Griffin Falls, or N. Ga. has Tallulah, Rocktown, Lost Wall, or Tenn. has T-Wall, Suck Creek, Sunset, and Stone Fort. T-Wall's parking lot, HP40, and Rocktown all have camping. All of these places are only an hour or two from each other. You can also fly into Atlanta for cheap.

Red Rock's is still probably the best option, but you might break your budget if you don't camp. Early March is the wettest in Vegas, so make it at the end if possible. The Rendezous is also in April this year, not March.

By Daniel Winder
Jan 18, 2013

I'm pretty sure that there isn't a shuttle from Vegas to Red Rock. Also, the camping isn't close to the climbing so you would still need a car. Lot's of great climbing there though.

By rging
From Salt Lake City, Ut
Jan 18, 2013
CoR

St. George, Utah. Lots of sport climbing on four types of rock and you can buzz over to Zion for some climbing, hiking, or canyoneering.

By Greg G
From SLC, UT
Jan 18, 2013
The route in it's entirety.

Joshua Tree is always good that time of year. I've never struck out there in the past 4 years. Always great weather!

By JCM
From Golden, CO
Jan 18, 2013

Rob Davis wrote:

Red Rocks requires a car. Even if you get to the campground, the climbing is relatively far from there (not walking distance).

By dylanfllr
Jan 18, 2013

The best place I can think of to get to, camp, and climb without a car is Squamish, and March isn't the season.

By Whippin
From Bend, OR
Jan 18, 2013

I've noticed tickets to Vegas are getting pricier for March, I'm not really seeing the deals I did last year. It's spring break month so that might have something to do with it.

By wankel7
From Indiana
Jan 19, 2013

What is a good book for Red Rock?

By Mostafa
From Las Vegas, NV
Jan 19, 2013
Cujo 5.11d Red Rocks

wankel7 wrote:
What is a good book for Red Rock?

The Handren Book it can be purchased at Desert Rock Sports or REI.

By wankel7
From Indiana
Jan 21, 2013

Mostafa wrote:
The Handren Book it can be purchased at Desert Rock Sports or REI. I've climbed with a lot of people from out of town they all usually are able to find both cheap hotels (that are nice about $40-60 night) and car rentals. The camp ground is $15 I believe personally I would rather put that towards a room with a shower...and possibly continental breakfast.

Thank you for the info!