Maple Canyon guides are here!
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By apross
Mar 23, 2012
We are watching you

The very first Wolverine Press Maple Canyon guides have arrived--swing on by and pick up your copy today at IME!

By Matt Selman
From Spring City, Utah
Mar 23, 2012

Also take into consideration that the comprehensive Maple guide, by Darren Knezek, will be out shortly... worth the wait from what I've seen of the two books.

By Sunny-D
From SLC, Utah
Mar 23, 2012
Top of Jah-Man Sister Superior

I have heard that Darren is coming out with a guide for Maple, AF and Rock canyon and other South areas in the Wasatch for years... I would love to have a date that those guides are going to be done?

By Tristan Higbee
From Cambodia
Mar 23, 2012
Me on a mixed route Crisco and I did in Rock Canyon.

Darren posted a photo of the Maple book's cover on Facebook last week along with the caption "The End is Near...."

More specifically, he also said "They should be available May 1st."

By Brian in SLC
Mar 23, 2012
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch

Sunny-D wrote:

I think the standard answer is, "they're at the printer".

Ha ha.

Actually, the Maple guide has a cover photo now. Whoop whoop!

(rumor has April-ish...what year, we're not quite sure...har har)

By Sunny-D
From SLC, Utah
Mar 23, 2012
Top of Jah-Man Sister Superior

Brian, you hit it on the head...I have been hearing about these guide books for years. It will be nice to have the new ones when they come out...

By Kenny Clark
From State College, PA
Mar 23, 2012

Some more hear say to add... I called Darren about this about two weeks ago when I found out the Wolverine book was coming out, and he told me his was to follow about month later. So, let's plan on sometime this summer.

I agree that Darren's looks more exhaustive, etc., but on the other hand, I also really love all my other Wolverine guidebooks...

By Tristan Higbee
From Cambodia
Mar 26, 2012
Me on a mixed route Crisco and I did in Rock Canyon.

Just saw this about Darren's guidebook: MapleCanyonClimbing.com

Be sure to check out the An Endorsement article.

By Dave Pegg
Mar 26, 2012

Is there an Ipod, or better yet, Android app for either book?

Yes! The Wolverine Publishing book will be available in ebook format. Not exactly an "app", but we're really pleased with how it came out -- it looks amazing on the ipad -- and it gives you a portable guidebook on your phone. The Maple Canyon Rock Climbs ebook runs on smartphone (iphone, android, windows), ipad, other tablets (as long as they can read an ebook, as well as Kindle and Nook (it is in color, so will look better on the color versions of those devices), although it works in black and white too.

Ebook versions will go on sale later this week. Price is $9.99. Links to buy the ebook will be posted here

wolverinepublishing.com/maple-canyon-rock-climbs

By Dave Pegg
Mar 26, 2012

Also check out the Maple Canyon Rock Climbs Facebook page for info updates and corrections on the Wolverine Publishing guide

www.facebook.com/MapleCanyonRockClimbs

By Mike Anderson
From Dayton, OH
Mar 26, 2012

Any confirmation of the rumors of an updated AF and/or Rock Canyon guide?

By Matt Selman
From Spring City, Utah
Mar 26, 2012

As far as I know, Mike, Darren decided to focus on Maple for the time being--that is, this guidebook will only cover Maple and other venues in the Sanpete Valley.

A lot of jokes have been made about how long this guide has taken to produce (most in good fun, like Brian in SLC above), but in reality it's been coming along at a pretty good pace considering how meticulous Darren has been about researching and documenting the hundreds of new routes that have gone in since he started the book (a good number of which have been his own new routes).

Darren has invested thousands of dollars of his personal capital into developing Maple Canyon, not to mention thousands of man-hours spent developing routes and improving trails, crag bases, and etc, and keeping climbers in the good graces of the Forest Service. He's one of the original Maple Canyon locals, and I'll say openly that I think it's shameful that his guide has been knowingly undercut by folks with comparatively little personal investment in the area.

Long story short, the Knezek guide will be worth the years we've all waited. As a Maple local I can tell you you'll be glad for the accuracy, personality, and the hundreds (600+!!) of routes.

-Matt Selman
Spring City, Utah

By Matt Selman
From Spring City, Utah
Mar 27, 2012

I'm confused, David... I think you may have missed the point, which a) had nothing to do with ebooks; and b) did not identify "locals" by geographic proximity to an area but by personal investment therein.

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
Mar 27, 2012
modern man

David Sahalie wrote:
so do the dirtbags that spend the summer at maple have the most right to write a guidebook?

oh sahalie, stirring the internet shitpot from down under again are you? how is that chosspile socorro box canyon doing anyways? is that sika glue still holding up on most of the holds?

By BScallout
Mar 27, 2012

^^^^You sir are an asshat^^^^^^

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
Mar 27, 2012
modern man

BScallout wrote:
^^^^You sir are an asshat^^^^^^ If you think Darren "dirtbags" in Maple, the hole in the side of your neck is too big for you to be talking shit out of. Keep you're specualation to areas and people you actually know, not just visited or bumped into once or twice.

I'd rather climb Maple choss any day, its for sure the best choss I have ever climbed. Thanks to those who invested the time&cash.

By Matt Selman
From Spring City, Utah
Mar 27, 2012

David Sahalie, again you leave me confused. How you can consider "the dirtbags that spend the summer at maple" (your own words) "personally invested" in Maple Canyon climbing is beyond me. If your idea of personal investment is staying at the campground for a while, working some routes, possibly even putting in two or three a summer, then you have a lot to learn from the likes of Darren, who has put in a couple of decades of sweat and cash into Maple so "the dirtbags that spend the summer" there can have something to climb, and so can the rest of us who are there regularly all year round. If you keep making arguments about your imagined "local-ism" and faulty understanding of "investment," I'll keep reading them. But goddamn, man, let's see some reasoning in there too.

Anyhow, my point was never to bandy back and forth about the above. My point is simply that Darren Knezek has produced a superior guide to Maple climbing.

By Rob T
Mar 27, 2012

Matt Selman wrote:

is producing, i still can't buy one at the store, correct? it's a minor point but still relevant. Especially b/c nothing seems to light a fire under the local's @$$es better than a Wolverine guide(see Black Bible).

at this rate i'm tempted to approach the CO boys about writing an AF and LCC guide just so we can get a proper update to those two. i'll buy the locals' version of course, i don't buy the Wolvy stuff, just appreciate the fact that these shots across the bow tend to finally produce the books we've heard about for years.

By John Ross
From Wasatch Front, UT
Mar 28, 2012
FA of <a href='/v/gunner/106128521'>Gunner</a>, AF Cyn.

Wait! So all that is needed to produce the long awaited quality guides is to "shoot something across the bow?" LOL

Oh that it were THAT simple!

By apross
Mar 28, 2012
We are watching you

boys, boys, boys, give it a rest, jeez.
We are also looking forward to Darren's guide and will post up as soon as we get it.

Now go climbing.

By Matt Selman
From Spring City, Utah
Mar 28, 2012

What do you mean, apross, I AM climbing right now brah. Just reading my ebook on my iphone and trolling MP while I hang on my sick proj. It's the future!

By Dave Pegg
Mar 28, 2012

Speaking of which: Maple Canyon Rock Climbs ebook version is now on Amazon.

www.amazon.com/dp/B007OZGSO6

iTunes and Barnes and Noble ebook versions coming soon. You can use whichever portal you prefer, the downloads should work on any device capable of reading an ebook (unless the device is store/platform specific like Kindle or Nook). iTunes allows us to sell the biggest file ... if you don't mind a space hog, the iTunes version will give you the highest resolution on an ipad. It looks amazing on the iPad 3.

By apross
Mar 28, 2012
We are watching you

did'nt think you got coverage at the pipe dream, brah.

By Matt Selman
From Spring City, Utah
Mar 28, 2012

my bad, my bad! it's all good brah.

By Tristan Higbee
From Cambodia
Mar 28, 2012
Me on a mixed route Crisco and I did in Rock Canyon.

Is there any plan to offer either guide as a PDF? I'm not going to take my Kindle to the crag and I don't have a smartphone, but I'd love to just print out a couple pages for the crags I'll be visiting. This is why I readily bought Jason Stevens's old guide that he sold in PDF form.

By Alex Harrison
Mar 28, 2012

Just got the ebook for the new maple canyon guide its quite great. Completely worth the 10 dollars. Easy to read, easy to search.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>