Making sense of Wild Country Technical Friends color/size

By gtluke
Oct 31, 2013

This is driving me insane.
I got a set of really nice condition technical friends from a friend when I started climbing. It was sizes .5 through 3
I've been adding to it as I find them, 3.5, 4, 0, 00
Then I found a bunch of new ones on ebay and snagged them up.
When I got them, now my brain is broken. Just when I think I can look at a crack and decide what color should go in there, quickly look down and grab it, now this...

Here's them all lined up, same sizes are stacked, big image so click the link
i.imgur.com/00QO2Yb.jpg]]i.imgur.com/00QO2Yb.jpg

Here's 2 purple's. The one on the left is a 3.5, the one on the right is a 3, The blue cam is also a 3

Here's the 1.5's, the old one is turquoise, the new one is whatever that is, silver?

.5's
Old one is orange, new one is red

0's
One is blue, one is red. this time they are in the same generation of sling type.

So in red I have:
#2 maroonish sling, red lobes
.5 maroonish sling, red lobes
0 red sling, red lobes

in purple I have:
3.5 purple lobes and sling
#3
1.25 purple lobes and sling

my 00 and 1's are also both yellow

wtf is going on here? I just want it to be consistent so I don't kill myself.

Any WC climbers with some input?
-luke

By Ben Hedquist
From west Richland WA
Oct 31, 2013
Me

I just bought a brand new set of Heliums.
2 red .5 and 2
2 yellow 1 and 2.5
1 purple 3
1 greyish 1.5

I have no clue???

By gtluke
Oct 31, 2013

yeah I've been considering a resling. I would have done it already if I didn't know the original owner of my old 80's ski jacket colored sling set ;)

I was thinking I'd resling them to my newest colors, and then that pair of 0's I have, one in blue and one in red, both with the new style sligs really blew my mind.

I have seen pictures of the all red lobes run, what a waste.

I do like the thumb loops of the heliums. I was thinking of eventually getting a set of those instead of C4's because I "already was familiar with the color scheme"

And then I keep finding C4's up at the gunks in the early AM and I'm really liking the action of those. ha

By doligo
Oct 31, 2013
Jose Cuervo Fruitcups dirtbag style

gtluke wrote:

But then you have to deal with the fact that they got rid of some sizes - oh headache!!!

Can you for now, before you resling at least get your racking biners sorted out?

By slim
Oct 31, 2013
tomato, tomotto, kill mike amato.

i had a shit ton of friends from pretty much every era (and color scheme). i sent them all to yates and had them resling them with the modern color scheme.

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
Oct 31, 2013
...

FISH Big Wall Gear reslings the cheapest that I have found at $3.50ea. (YATES and Wired Bliss are both $5.00ea)

If you supply your own webbing it's even cheaper ($2.50ea).

fishproducts.com/catalog/repairs.html

...
...

By Lou Hibbard
From Eagan, MN
Oct 31, 2013

WHenever I had friends reslung I always had them sling it a little longer so on long pitches often didn't need to add a draw and the cam still wouldn't rotate or walk. To me all the cams are too short slung as is except the aliens.
I also added a little small loop so when doing aid climbing you could still clip really high like you can an alien.
I've never seen that by anybody else but I liked it.

By CallumRD1
From Lewison, ME
Oct 31, 2013

You can always use color coded biners to differentiate between sizes instead of relying on sling color or lobe anodization.

By gtluke
Oct 31, 2013

It seems that I can never really see the biners all that well when I reach for something, or I'm reaching for the lobes to see what size i want because I'm still pretty new at this. I think this winter I'll send them out to have them all reslung to match, I didn't know it was so cheap.

By nicelegs
From Denver
Oct 31, 2013

Wild Country has changed their colors at least three times.

In the late 90's, all of their cams were black with red lobes. The only thing that changed were the slings. I still use some of them.

Do as Slim did and resling to the more modern and sensible color scheme.