Making a wood portaledge?

By Patrick K.
From Bozeman
Jun 20, 2011
Me cleaning at neat rock on the standard route in the madison valley, Montana
What does everybody think about the possibilty of a wood portalaedge?

I have seen Alex honnold with a wood ledge in a few videos and wondering what others thought of this. I'm thinking of useing 6 bolt-hangers for connection points and then flagging the frame on the line when hauling.

I know it would be heavy, but would only cost about 30 bucks.

Share your thoughts and advice

By Jeremy Monahan
From Fort Fun, CO
Jun 20, 2011
View of Longs Peak from Mt. Alice, RMNP
I'll share what I learned from making them to haul up a tree in my backyard as a kid.

Pros:
Cheap
Disposable (to a degree)
Heavy (as you mentioned)
Can be sturdy if you reinforce it right
Customized easily

Cons:
Heavy
Not foldable (without carpentry magic)
Not waterproof (no rainfly w/o modification
Rigging can be a pain in the arse (depending on how you rig it, its really hard to get the damn thing to lay straight)

All in all, I wouldn't recommend it unless someone has some awesome plans for a lightish, sturdy ledge w/ fly for substantially cheaper than buying an actual portaledge. Its tough to drag it anywhere or make it portable, and I can't even imagine hauling a wooden ledge up a wall without partially destroying it.

That said, if you want a ledge that doesn't need to be hauled super far or super high on a wall, go for it. It is cheap, and they can be designed to be pretty damn sturdy.

Post up if you decide to build one!

EDIT: I hear Russ from Fish makes a killer ledge, but be prepared to wait in line for a custom one..

By Rob Dillon
Jun 20, 2011
I believe one has been towed up Whitesides, on the FA of Arm and Hammer. Stegg's kinda tough, though. Are you?

As wall climbing is all about suffering (at least until you learn better), I'd say: go for it! The worst that can happen: you work your ass off for a few days and have a good story to tell. Isn't that what we're all after?

By Gunkiemike
Aug 13, 2011
I read a few years ago about a team that had one - in Yosemite I think - and the wind picked up really strong. The ledge was flying around them basically trying to decapitate them.

By Nathan Stokes
Aug 13, 2011
On Liquid Sky at Cathedral Ledge they originally used a wooden pallet for a belay ledge at the Space Station belay while working the route.

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Aug 13, 2011

T

By Brannen
From Flowery Branch, GA
Aug 14, 2011
rock_fencer wrote:
go over to the FOIL site rockclimbing.com and check out the crusty ledge article. Not as cheap as a wood ledge but much lighter. T

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Aug 14, 2011
Brannen wrote:
I actually just made a ledge for my first wall about a week ago. I looked at the Krusty ledge stuff, decided I didn't know how to sew, or want to learn, so I went to Walmart and bought the Ozark Trail Cot. Thought I could use some of the cot pieces, turns out I couldn't. So I just used the fabric, bought about 10$ worth of PVC pipe and fittings, used some old webbing for the connection points, and kayak hauling straps for my adjustable straps. Total Cost around $60.

Curious what size PVC did you use. Post up some pics of you in it. I want to see how it flexes!

By BDergay
From Eldorado
Aug 15, 2011
Jayy-Dogg on rappel
Just take one of those tri-fold lawn chairs and tie some webbing to the corners.

$11 bucks. cheap.