"Maiden Light": Aerial Dancing on the Maiden

By cmudy
From Boulder, Colorado
Mar 17, 2014

A multimedia video merging climbing and aerial dancing. It also tells the story of the collaboration needed to make aerial dancing on the backside of the Maiden possible. All illustrations available here: www.blownminds.blogspot.com

The Maiden.
The Maiden.

flatirons <br />
flatirons

By Ryan Kempf
From Boulder, CO
Mar 17, 2014
Ryan on the Sharks Fin wishing he was on Mt. Whiteny.

SOOO.... I guess I never realized the woman that did this were not tied in in some fashion. I just gained a shit ton of admiration for this art form and the performers.... Respect.

By Pinklebear
Mar 17, 2014
Pinklebear

Beautiful endeavor and video--very bold! Thanks for sharing.

By mtoensing
From Boulder
Mar 17, 2014
Props to my home state show

Amazing movie! TFPU

By Greg Miller
From boulder, co
Mar 17, 2014

awesome video!! it might be worth editing out the part where tim mentions "stashing gear"... just a thought.

By Tom-onator
From This Galaxy
Mar 17, 2014
Tom-onator

BRAVO!
Well done!

By tooTALLtim
From Boulder, CO
Mar 17, 2014
Me on Land of Ra, Cadillac Crag, Eldorado. <br /> <br />Thanks for the picture Craig Muderlak!

@Greg: Eh, too late :P

By doug rouse
From Denver, CO.
Mar 17, 2014

That was awesome! I would like to send huge kudos for the Boldness required to pull this off!

By Mark Roth
From Boulder
Mar 17, 2014
not climbing

Wholly crap!

Tim, I always thought you were a little crazy. Now its confirmed.
(Edit: I mean in a good way)

Awesome video Craig. Love the illustrations and music as usual.

Wild idea, but I can't stop thinking about that Myth Busters where they try rappelling on bed sheets.

By MC Poopypants
Mar 17, 2014
Dropping a deuce

Not really dance, more of an acrobatic spectacle. So guys here appreciate videos of half naked women doing splits, surprising.

By Mike Pharris
From Longmont, CO
Mar 18, 2014
Climbing above Black Lake

Cool project

By Brad White
Mar 18, 2014

I'm pretty sure I saw that woman in a performance at the Dairy Center for the Arts a couple of winters ago. The performance was called the Ratcracker, and showed amazing athleticism and artistry I had never before witnessed, except while watching Olympic-level gymnastics. Watching performers ascent the fabric doing multiple one-armed pull ups, I couldn't help but think that they would all be outstanding rock climbers. The fabric that was used in that show was certainly not bed sheets, and my entire family watched the performance spellbound.

For myself, I kept thinking how bad it would have been if one of the highly-skilled performers made a mistake and fell onto the hard stage. Watching this amazing video took that concern to a whole other level. As a climber it is difficult not to envy her athleticism, grace and especially her mental control.

By Steve Williams
From Denver, CO
Mar 18, 2014

Holy Moly!

Crazily beautiful. I'd never have the courage to do that!

By Ryan Kempf
From Boulder, CO
Mar 18, 2014
Ryan on the Sharks Fin wishing he was on Mt. Whiteny.

Brad White wrote:

The mental aspect is most impressive to me. I bet she could out-climb 90% of the crusties and trusties on this site. And the iron-cross still photo gets my vote for best default pic.

By ErikaNW
Mar 18, 2014
Rapping off the Matron October, 2010

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for posting.

By Dave Holliday
Mar 18, 2014
The one they call The Husky, Natasha Holliday, Esq., enjoying Dog Dayz at Scott Carpenter Pool.

That was awesome. Thanks for sharing.

By Nick Votto
Mar 18, 2014
Bolton, VT

That girl is amazing, and ballsy...she could definitely rip some seriously hard climbing if she tried...thanks!

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Mar 19, 2014
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

Very cool! I caught one of those shows at the Dairy center, too.

By tooTALLtim
From Boulder, CO
Mar 19, 2014

Ashley used to perform with Frequent Flyers Productions out of Boulder, and then got hired down at Iluminar Aerial in Broomfield.

Both put on shows frequently, and I highly recommend catching more of their shows!

Also, Ashley doesn't climb, but she's one of the strongest people I know :D

By Rainbowweinstock
From Boulder, CO
Mar 24, 2014
Me relaxing for once on the Salathe

Great to see this melding of art and adventure getting a lot of appreciation!

By Leo Paik
From Westminster, Colorado
Mar 24, 2014

Whoa!

Erin: that takes amazing strength!

By Matt Pierce
From Denver, CO
Mar 25, 2014
View from the first belay ledge on The Staircase (5.5)

Awesome! Thanks for sharing