Loose handle on new Petzl Quarks

By RacerXK1
From Redlands, CA
Jan 16, 2013
Joe on the FA of Grape Nuts.
I have a fairly new pair of Petzl Quarks (current generation) that have only been used on a handful of trips. I recently noticed that the plastic sheath handle on one of the tools shifts slightly back and forth on the shaft, probably a millimeter or so front to back. If I hold the tool by the handle and swing forward or backward, I can feel the position of the handle shifting on the shaft.

Should I be worried about this or is this normal?

If so, should I try to fix this with epoxy (or something else)? Or should I try to warranty the tool? (I don't want to loose it in the middle of ice climbing season!)

By AKM1878
Jan 17, 2013
its hard to tell without seeing the tool but this could be serious. I would go the warranty route.

By sstrauss
From Denver
Jan 17, 2013
Dream Weaver in it's death throws
I've been abusing my quarks for some time now, no issues. I'd contact the manufacturer and let them decide what to do. Most likely they'll replace the tool(s).

By Jarmland
Jan 17, 2013
Hi,

My 2011 Quarks are exactly the same, and they were so right out of the box. A faint clicking sound when you swing them back and forth. Only when the trigrests are off or up high. It's absolutely nothing to worry about, the plastic covering on the handle is bolted onto the aluminum shaft, it's just that it's half a millimeter or so too big so it shifts a tiny tiny bit. It's not going anywhere. If it still bugs you, put some epoxy on or tape it up.

By randy88fj62
Jan 17, 2013
Thunderbolt Peak in the Palisades
I'll check my quarks tonight with the trigrests up off the grips. I have never noticed any play.

By Burt Lindquist
From Madison, WI
Jan 17, 2013
Trying to stay warm up on Brownstone Wall Red Rock...
I own a original set of Quark prototypes (bought them off a pro climber) and they didn't come with the newer trig-rests of course. They were fitted with a set of the original BD trig-rests (the ones with the medal strap and small hex nut to fasten). This set of original Quarks also have the little wiggle in the handles but ONLY when I have the BD trig-rests attached and tightened down.... they don't do it otherwise... strange... The little wiggle has never really bothered me while climbing with them but I do notice it on occasion. These old Quarks have a ton of mileage on them.

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Jan 17, 2013
Epic free solo with a pack on
No wiggle on my Quarks...Petzl has great costumer service from what I can tell, can't hurt to get a new set of tools!