Looking for suggestions on where I should go climb in CO

By Blake Hanson
From Salt Lake City, Utah
Jul 24, 2014
Hey.

So, I'm heading on a climbing trip. Don't know where yet. I live in SLC. I wanna go somewhere in CO not near Denver. I wanna do single pitch SPORT climbs up to 5.10ish. Something with awesome views. Great views is a big part of where I wanna end up. I guess I'm looking for suggestions...

Where should I go?

Thanks a lot!

By JJNS
Jul 24, 2014
When? How long do you have? I'm thinking Independence Pass and Lime Creek/Park.

By Brian Scoggins
From Eugene, OR
Jul 24, 2014
The best Colorado crags are in Utah and Wyoming.

Now that that's out of the way, I'd check out (as has been mentioned) Independence Pass, as well as down by Durango. Shelf Road has single pitch sport, but I don't know that it has especially great views, or at least, I didn't notice any. Also, it'd be awfully hot this time of year.

By Blake Hanson
From Salt Lake City, Utah
Jul 25, 2014
Looks lilt it will be the first week of september for 4 days. thanks for the responses. ill look into those.

By ErikaNW
Jul 25, 2014
Rapping off the Matron October, 2010
Jurassic Park by Estes? Great views, fun climbing.

By Glenn Schuler
From Monument, Co.
Jul 25, 2014
A grey fox skull wedged in a crack 100' up on a FA I was working on - don't see that every day...
Monitor Rock just east of Independence Pass sounds like it would fit the bill.

By george wilkey
From travelers rest sc
Jul 25, 2014
me
Colorado national monument has a few sport climbs and it is one of the first climbing areas you will drive by coming from SLC. however, if you want sport, rifle mountain park is the place to go. although it has a reputation for really tough climbs, there are plenty of routes in the 5.10 range. it's not far from the interstate and well worth the trip.

By Jonathan Petsch
From Chattanooga, TN
Jul 25, 2014
Just go to Wild Iris. It's in Wyoming and it's better.