looking for partner/partner finding advice for RR or any climbing around Vegas

By ptrgeorge
From Houston, TX
Jan 21, 2013
Skull cave, Rifle, CO  awesome shot nate!
Hello,
My climbing partner has just postponed his leave date for about 3 weeks. Looking for partners for late January into Febuary

Info about me:
comfortable on sport up to easy 12s(i can usually get to the top of 12b/c). That said Id also be happy to get out and climb at any level on sport routes.
I have very little lead experience(a handful of 5.4-5.8 cracks at the rrg) with trad(and own no trad gear) but would be glad to get up with someone. I wouldn't mind flailing up harder trad on top rope. at the red i was able to climb most trad routes 10d and under without much fuss.

have everything needed for sport climbing and no trad gear

does anyone have advice on finding meeting partners in the Vegas area? is there a regular hangout spot/camping spot(sounds like the rr camping that I have read about isnt conductive to meeting up with folks)? would it be easier to find partners at a different area than RR with my skill set(trad noob) like Charleston maybe?.

Thanks in advance for any pointers guys!

By bradyk
Jan 22, 2013
Your climbing partner sounds like a real asshole. Maybe he has a good excuse for standing you up, like walking pneumonia, or call of duty, but he is probably just doing what his wife told him to do and renovate the kitchen. Good luck Buddy.

By smassey
From CO
Jan 22, 2013
CG does have a message board, so some possibilities there. Could also loiter at Desert Rock Sports or the gym. Probably better to search here. Charleston is (mostly) too cold - many of the crags are 8000'+. It's more of a summer crag. However, it does hold the only ice climbing in the immediate area...

By RockyMtnTed
Jan 22, 2013
Learn how to place gear and build anchors... Red rocks is perfect for that, the grades are super soft. If you can climb 5.12 sport there is no reason you can't go do a 1,000 foot 5.9 trad line at red rocks. Its not rocket science.... If you have been climbing long enough to be leading 5.12 sport how have you not picked up enough info to lead an easy red rocks trad climb? Its not like its even crack climbing, its mostly face climbing and way easier than the red.

By richard miranda
Jan 22, 2013
hey whats up Im down to climb most days whether its sport or trad. I feel comfortable leading 5.11's both trad and sport and would be down for the challenge of any 5.12. call or text 951 203 0954

By ptrgeorge
From Houston, TX
Jan 22, 2013
Skull cave, Rifle, CO  awesome shot nate!
hey richard, sounds great Ill shoot you a text when I get in the area!

By Thomas Beck
From Las Vegas, Nevada
Jan 23, 2013
beck on limestone
Troll the campground mornings and evenings is about the best after posting here. You can try the meetup bulletin boards for climbing and mountaineering...high percentage of newbies there.

meetup.com/LasVegasMountaineer...

meetup.com/Vegas-Rock-Climbing...

By Jason Denver
Jan 29, 2013
Hey there. If you're still looking for a partner, I'd be stoaked to meet up. I'm available tue, wed, thurs this week. Im just here for a trade show, so all i have is a harness, shoes and chalk. Typically i just trad climb, but any climbing would be great. Normally i can lead into 5.11, but have been pounding the ice for a couple months now and i may not be as strong as my head. Have fun. Hit me up @ jdenver360@gmail.com if youre interested.

By The Flying Dutchman
Apr 6, 2013
ptrgeorge wrote:
hey richard, sounds great Ill shoot you a text when I get in the area! smassey thanks for the pointers about where to find partners, I have had pretty good feedback from this post via pms rocky mtn ted thanks for the beta on trad routes at RR, I should point out that I am willing to lead easy trad. I wanted to make the point in my original post, that I am by no means an experienced trad leader. I am planning to push my grades on gear while at red rocks, but my limited experience is relevant information for potential partners. Brady, no worries bud! Keep me posted on whats going on in CO, and tell the misses I said hi

Absolutely do not let some guy on mountain project tell you that if you lead X grade on sport climbs that you should go out and get on Y grade trad climbs. Start easy, learn what your doing, and take it slow. It seems over the last couple years with the boom in climbing that these guys who go out and push super hard on trad gear are making people think its a good idea to push the limits right out of the gate. When you see guys like Trotter and Caldwell pushing the limits of trad you need to remind yourself that they have years and decades of practice with gear. They also have horror stories and injuries which most people never hear about. Personally, I was conservative, I was on sighting 11a sport when I started trad but I never even attempted to lead anything over 5.7 for the first year. Did lots of long routes and placed lots of gear to get comfortable with it. Be safe out there