Looking for job in or around yosemite valley next summer

By Mackenzie Moore
From Missoula, MT
Oct 13, 2012

I am looking forward to making my first trip to Yosemite Valley this upcoming summer and I was wondering how it is getting a job, or any Ideas for a job that would allow for lots of climbing.

-Mack

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Oct 13, 2012

Mackenzie,

Have you done the obvious by looking at the NPS website and contacting Delaware North?

By S Denny
From Carbondale, CO
Oct 13, 2012

job that allows for a lot of climbing. that'll be the day.

DNC would love to hire you, if you can pee clean and work 5 days a week...

By live_it
From Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Oct 14, 2012
Lovers Leap

Apply for jobs at DNC, check their website often, because the open jobs change a lot. I worked in Tuolumne for 6 weeks and it was great, but I hear the valley is another story. If you don't get any response from DNC, go into their HR office when you get there and they might be able to get you work very fast.

By skiclimber
Oct 14, 2012
jibbing at chasm lake

Having worked in the valley when I was young and dumb for the curry company at the time, I will tell you this,

Save your money this winter and Don't work while in the Valley. Dirt Ball it and you will have more fun if you can over look the fact that you really wouldn't be making much money working for Delaware and you will be working 40 hour weeks that will leave little time for climbing.

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Oct 14, 2012
OTL

Unemployment.

Know why vacation destinations are so great? You're not working when you're there.

By srose
Oct 14, 2012

I worked in the valley this past summer...and ran away in the middle of the night to escape....!
I was very happy living in the woods when I first got to the valley, working there not so much.
Ahwahnee dining room = 40-60hr workweeks in a negative environment

getting a job is really easy tho, it takes about two weeks from the day you apply to have first interview, you gotta take a drugtest too. If your already in the valley as I was when your in this process you just go to the clinic there
There's a bunch of BS classes they make you take when you get hired too.. if you found the right job its pretty easy livin with good people and awesome climbing..

By Keenan Waeschle
From Bozeman, MT
Oct 14, 2012
on top of the RNWF <br />June 2012

I'm planning on getting a crummy job from DNS in May. We might be coworkers brah! A question for previous employees: how lax are they if you miss work while being overdue climbing? (But sir, I FOR SURE thought we would make it up Native Son in 24 hours!)

By Mackenzie Moore
From Missoula, MT
Oct 15, 2012

SAWEEET thanks for the beta ya'll

By Nathan Scherneck
From Portland, OR
Oct 15, 2012
He took the whipper while trying to place his #1 Stopper.  So sad.

Keenan Waeschle wrote:

From what I hear, not very. I worked for another organization in the valley, not DNC, but I heard of a couple different incidents where DNC employees were fired for missing shifts after a late return from El Cap routes.

By Nick Stayner
From The Magic City
Oct 15, 2012
Nick Stayner near the crux. Ryan Minton photo.

As usual, lots of misinformation on the old MountainProject!

Mackenzie, if you're serious about working out there, I suggest you start looking for a job early in 2013 at the latest. I don't have any experience working for the NPS, but I did work for the DNC at the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge for 2 or 3 summers in addition to some other Eastside gigs. I loved every minute of it. Biggest problem for me was wrapping my head around working for a giant, soul-sucking corporation that devalues their employees and cares little for the environment they capitalize off of. But that stuff is easy to forget when you're able to climb God's own granite every day.

And don't believe the haters. If you're motivated, you'll get tons of climbing in.

To all the haters- I never understood why so many people spew the same typical BS about not finding the time to climb when working in the park. 100% of the people I knew that complained about not being able to climb because of their DNC job were unmotivated, lazy, and probably were that way long before showing up to the Park. I worked up to 50 hours a week and still managed to climb every day I could. It's the middle of the summer- it gets light early and stays that way til almost 10. Try to think of even a 10 hour shift (there weren't any of these at the TML) that wouldn't allow for at least a couple hours of daylight to go and get something done.

All of my managers were really receptive to climbing conducive scheduling, too. I worked in the restaurant, so I managed to get a 6-2 shift on my Friday and a 3-10 shift on my Monday, which made big Sierra adventures very doable. Just like in "real life", working hard and not screwing your managers/coworkers over can make it easier to get what you want.

To top it all off, it was a tip job that lasted from late May-mid September, meaning more than ample funds for play time in the Creek, Valley, and mountains of MT all winter. I didn't stoop to collecting unemployment, but plenty of my friends (on whom I'll refrain from passing judgement) did and subsidized their dirtbag adventures on our dimes! So if you're into it, pretty hard to beat.

Best of luck to you and don't be deterred by the haters.

Keenan- two of my coworkers got "marooned" on the WFLT one summer I was working there. They were good dudes (if slightly moronic for going up there midsummer with very little water), well liked and worked hard. Managers are people too, and the same rules & norms that apply to working in "normal" society apply in Yosemite too. Thus they had jobs when they finally returned.