Looking for DC Gym Partner

By Mark Kauz
From Madison, WI
May 11, 2011
Up on Rat Stew.
Hey Everyone,

I'm going to be in DC this summer and was looking for someone to a)climb with and b)catch a ride or get good directions from Foggy Bottom to the gym (whichever is best and closest). I'm a competent climber who really wants to get better at clipping bolts but I have some problems with head games that keep me from climbing at my true potential. I'm a safe climber and a belayer, I just want to start breaking the plateau that I'm at. If you want references for belaying abilities, just let me know. I'm sure my friend Dylan will see this thread; he's always lurking around.

-Mark

By Mark Kauz
From Madison, WI
May 13, 2011
Up on Rat Stew.
Well, it sounds like Sport Rock is closer to where I am going to be but they charge $95 initiation fee on top of a month membership??? What??? So still looking for a partner, but I might be going out to Metro Rock in Rockville.

By Wannabe
May 13, 2011
Mark,
I hardly ever climb in a gym so I could be wrong but I don't know of a gym called, "Metro Rocks" in Rockville. Are you perhaps thinking of Earthtreks? If there is a new gym in the area I'd be curious for details because like you, I find the prices the gyms in the DC metro area charge to climb on plastic a bit exhorbitant.

By Timothy Mark
May 13, 2011
I climb at EarthTreks in Rockville MD. I don't know about Sportrock's fees, but I assume they have similar deals.

ET also charges an initiation fee, but they have periodic "sales" where they waive the fee, offer a free month, etc. This happens at least a couple of times a year. There is also a summer pass, which is generally the cheapest way to climb for the summer - those might not be available yet.

By Justin Scott
From Arlington, VA
May 13, 2011
I'm a member at Sportrock and go to the Alexandria location. I've signed up twice and the staff cut the initiation fee in half once and dropped it all together another time. Just ask nicely to talk to the manager. The no initiation fee period for general memberships seems to always be in January. If you're a student, I recall them having it sometime around the beginning of summer. The nice thing about the Alexandria location is that it is a couple blocks from a metro station. If you end up choosing sportrock, let me know. I need to get some more time leading as well and would be happy to partner up.

Justin

By Mark Kauz
From Madison, WI
May 13, 2011
Up on Rat Stew.
Yes, I meant Earthtreks. What do you get when you combine posting about one gym with talking to a friend about another and trying to study for your Sufism final? A characteristic mistype by yours truly

By Dustin Glasner
From Berkeley, CA
May 20, 2011
Center Direct, Northwest Branch
right now, Earth Treks is running a Summer membership sale. good from June 1 til August 31st I believe, on sale til June 30. $169 total. it definitely saves you money on the initiation, and you don't have to worry about breaking a monthly contract.

it is very easy to get to, if not a bit far on the metro. from foggy bottom, take the orange or blue line towards metro center, then hop the red line from metro center to rockville. 10 minute walk from the metro.

personally, I'm partial to Earth Treks. Rockville is a great gym with great staff and great people. I climb there regularly, and I should be around most of the summer - message me when you're in the area, and I'd be more than happy to trade belays.

as well, check out climbfind.com. there are a ton of Earth Treks members active on the site, and they're always looking for partners.

hope this helps! best of luck and enjoy D.C.

By Matt Roberts
From Columbus, OH
May 21, 2011
Hittin' Miguel's with the new Chimps in tow
Have to agree on ET-Rockville. Was one of the main reasons we located in Rockville, in fact. Staff is excellent, got to take some really good courses (Self Rescue, as an example), and if you are suffering head games on lead, then the the 35' arches offer plenty of opportunity to work through them--they almost always have some 5.8/5.9 lead-only arch routes that are really easy, but great for working thru brain games. Plus, ET-Rockville is expanding this fall. By Dec, they will have over twice as much wall space & almost 3x the floor space.

By Dustin Glasner
From Berkeley, CA
May 22, 2011
Center Direct, Northwest Branch
yeah forgot about the expansion - they're gonna be huge, one of the top 5 biggest gyms in the country I think. and I was climbing there the other day, and sasha digiulian (a regular at ET) and courtney sanders were there, and I heard courtney say she liked ET better than some of the gyms in Boulder, CO...don't know how true that is, but still pretty cool haha

By pkopysci
May 22, 2011
I don't know if you are still choosing between gyms, but right now I think SR is having a summer deal. I think it's a $5 sign-up fee and reduced price for 3 months of climbing.

Their website probably has more info about it. Either way I hope you have a blast!