Looking for Climbing Mentor/Instructor in LA Area

By HikeCampClimb
Nov 28, 2013

I've been climbing for ~2.5 years now (minus an 8 month hiatus to study for my qual exams) and am currently stuck in a 4-month performance plateau. Worse than that, I'm stuck at grades below what I would expect given the amount of time that I have been climbing.

Therefore, I am looking for a mentor or instructor who would be able to help me identify my problem areas, develop strategies to fix them, and then help me implement the strategies.

I currently boulder between V1 and V2, follow sport/trad ~5.8, and top rope ~5.9-5.10a.

In exchange, I'm more than willing to spot or belay (I have a lot of lead belay experience since I only follow :)) projects. I'm also game to pay if you're an effective instructor and if I see results.

Thanks everyone!

By randy88fj62
Dec 2, 2013
Thunderbolt Peak in the Palisades

I'd recommend joining the SCMA:
www.rockclimbing.org/

Or a more informal group:
www.meetup.com/socalclimbing/

Both of these clubs / groups have a lot of people who are more than willing to teach / climb with you. I'd bet you'd be able to find a mentor by climbing with these groups for a few months.

I met my mentor a few years back at a SoCal Climbers meetup.

By HikeCampClimb
Dec 8, 2013

Thanks! I'll try that out!

By richard miranda
Dec 9, 2013

9512030954 hit me up I think we can help each other (knowledge in exchange for belay)

By HikeCampClimb
Dec 13, 2013

Richard--Sorry for the late reply! (It's finals week for us). I'll try to give you a call tomorrow or Sat.

By other
From San Diego, CA
Dec 25, 2013

If you try to join to scma it will take twelve months of classes, tests and evals before you can partner with 5.8 trad leaders. Rules rules and more rules

By UpRope
Dec 25, 2013

What's all this "mentor" this and "instructor" that ---just find a forking partner and go out and climb your ass off ---don't worry so much about grades or where you should be, climbing is not a frigging horse race.
When I was learning to climb I just went out with friends that climbed more or less at my level and we learned how to climb. We never became superstars but we enjoyed the hell out our time in the mountains.
Passion for the activity, and a love for the wild places is all you need.
Just go and do it.