Looking for an Alpine Fitness Gym in Denver

By BrianD
From Denver, CO
Apr 22, 2014
Mt. Baker North Ridge
Hello Denver Climbers,

I am new to Denver and looking for a Mountain Athlete type gym to complement my weekend warrior status in the Alpine. I am very surprised that there is not a full service gym in Denver (Climbing + Fitness). I do know of ATC and others in Boulder but with weekday work, that would not be a doable commute. I feel like crossfit is just too general, or am i wrong? Also looking for a little community. Where do you go to train for fitness?

By MGasell
Apr 23, 2014
There is not one that I know of. I drive up to the ATC before ski/ice season and have searched around looking for something in Denver without finding anything. In my experience there is a lot of variation in crossfit gyms, some focus on longer more MAish workouts and some focus more on olympic lifting. May be worth going to a couple and seeing what they offer (and ask if you can bring ice tools in).

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Apr 23, 2014
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV
I've been on this program for a few months now and am seeing some great results:

By Anfarwal
From Denver, CO
Apr 24, 2014
Approach to Whitney
Jon, that video is seriously disturbing (yet hilarious). I think I've found my costume for Halloween this year.

BrianD--you might consider the 'Road' training program at Earthtreks in Golden. They train for an hour 3x a week for 3 months doing strength training specifically for climbing. Everyone I know who's in it is absolutely exhausted afterwards and it's helped their endurance for climbing tremendously. Great program, and seriously cheap for intense personal training in a small group setting.
earthtreksclimbing.com/co/inst...

By Jhan09
Nov 8, 2014
Brian,

Any luck finding a gym? I just moved to Denver and am in the same boat. Shocker given the fitness and outdoor interest of Denver residents.

Let me know of you have any guidance.

By Klimbien
From St.George Orem Littleton Vegas
Nov 8, 2014
Zion - GWT Great White Throne crag
I know there was a ka-bosh put on group work out sessions, but have seen some underground stuff going on that is interesting at the red rock amphitheater. Also some great trail runs out in the southwest corner of Denver, other side of Ken Caryl valley - Deer creek canyon park on the other side of the ridge. Good runs and trails up waterton canyon just past the chatfield res. too.

By Dan Jimenez
Feb 1, 2015
Hey I know this is an old thread but I run a gym in southeast Denver called Axistence Athletics. We have been around for a little over a year and gear all of our programming towards "Forging the Adventure Athlete". We are a crossfit affiliate but since I've been following Rob Shaul for the last 5 years, there is a heavy influence from Mountain Athlete. We are in the process of finishing our bouldering/system boards, but are already more than ready to meet your training needs. We cycle our programming between, winter sports prep, crossfit open season, summer adventure prep and obstacle course racing season. Let me know if you have any questions, and feel free to stop on by, axistenceathletics.com

By John Fatseas
From Denver, CO
Feb 2, 2015
Lake City, CO mixin it up
Movement in Denver

movementdenver.com/

Beyond the Guidebook:
The Definitive Climbing Resource
Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run
Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps
Backcountry, Sidecountry
and Secret Stashes
Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!