looking for advice.. backcountry crag in N.F. off I-70

By Charles V.
From colorado springs, colorado
May 12, 2014
Could use some help in finding a climbing area off I-70 between say georgetown and glenwood springs, on national forest land that requires a 2-3 mile hike in, bolted preferably with climbs in the 5.6 to 5.10 range. I've done a lot of research on mtn project but everything seems to be right next to a road, and colorado climbing guide discusses major areas predominantly, im looking for something off the beaten path. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

By Alvaro Arnal
From Aspen, CO
May 12, 2014
Pup Tent OS
Kind of a weird request.

It's a little bit past Glenwood but have you considered Pup Tent/Main Elk?

By Charles V.
From colorado springs, colorado
May 12, 2014
i hadn't had much luck im basically looking for a place without a lot of people so my brother can let his dogs run free, also easier climbing for some beginners coming with. ill look into your advice thanks!!

By Alvaro Arnal
From Aspen, CO
May 12, 2014
Pup Tent OS
Pup Tent is a good place for beginners. There's a bunch of climbs in the 5.7 - 5.9 range. That said, chances are there will be other people there, with other dogs, both climbing and hiking. Letting dogs run around completely unhindered is probably not a good idea.

By Charles V.
From colorado springs, colorado
May 12, 2014
alright appreciate it, and agree about the dogs, thats why im looking for some place away from the crowds.. the search continues, main elk looks great, some closures apparently for raptor nesting, but i will keep hunting, thank you.

By ChefMattThaner
From Lakewood, co
May 12, 2014
ducking ropes at Copper
Lumpy literally only has a handful of bolted routes and most of them are here mountainproject.com/v/the-book....