Looking for a group to climb Rainier with (5/9-5/12)

By Nate C
From Madison, WI
Feb 21, 2013
Longs Peak looming

Hey all, kind of far in advance, but I'd like to get the ball rolling on making some plans. I'll be on a work trip in Bellevue, WA 5/7-5/8 and would love to take the opportunity to climb Rainier while I'm out there.

I've got a good amount of 14er experience in Colorado, but haven't really dealt much with glacier travel. I'd be up for trying any route, provided I can catch my flight back on the 12th.

Let me know if you'd be interested!

By David Rivers
Feb 23, 2013
East Beach bouldering

Early May is very early for Rainer in my limited experience. A friend and I went out in early June of 2006, which I don't think was a particularly heavy year for snow. We booked an RMI trip to dovetail w/his daughter's graduation. Anyway, we were turned back by avy conditions on the upper mountain.

I'm sure you're aware that Rainer is WAY bigger than any CO 14er. Experience w/glacier travel is a must. I'm sure you are, but make sure to do extensive research. Checkout the RMI site for conditions on the mountain, route beta, and success rates by month, route etc. It's been a while, but they used to post that info.

Good luck with the trip and your preparations!

By Nate C
From Madison, WI
Apr 4, 2013
Longs Peak looming

Bumping this now as May is fast approaching. Anyone have any climbs planned I could join?

By James LeBouef
From Amherst, WI
Apr 17, 2013
Son and I on top of Rainier

Hey from Wisconsin as well. I went to Mountaineering School in 2010 on Rainier and my son and I have climbed Rainier twice with success. We also climbed Mt Shasta all while he was 13.
May is a bad month for Rainier due to the Avalanches.

Let me know if you would ever desire to climb in the future. Have all the gear.

By Brian marsh
From Snowmass
Apr 17, 2013
Relaxing at the top of looking glass.

I don't know if you're dead set on Rainer but I'm looking for a partner for Hood around that same time. Rainer isn't out of the question for me but I'm agreeing with others here the avy danger maybe be too high that early.

By Nate C
From Madison, WI
Apr 18, 2013
Longs Peak looming

Definitely not dead set on Rainier. I haven't looked much into Hood, but I would definitely be interested. I just want to make sure I get out on something while I'm out there. Do you have a route you're thinking of?