Looking for a great winter climbing destination

By nick84
From Haverhill, MA
Sep 22, 2011

All ideas would be very much appreciated.

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Sep 22, 2011
El Chorro
El Potrero Chico is an obvious answer, and cheaper than Thailand, but that's about all I can say since I've never been there.

Cochise Stronghold is freakin' awesome, but I was there in late November. Not sure what the weather is like in Jan/Feb but I do recall a lot of sunny climbing. Of all of the places I've climbed, The Stronghold is in my top 5. Endless amount of 3-6 pitch climbing, solid granite, free camping. I wasn't a fan of Mt. Lemmon in winter; apparently the best stuff is too high for cold temps.

By Ed Wright
Sep 22, 2011
Magic Ed
Potrero Chico. Even though you are trad climbers you'll have a blast clipping bolts on routes up to 23 pitches.

Second choice: Cochise Stronghold and Mt Lemmon.

You'll freeze your asses off at J-tree in Jan.

magicedspotrerochico.com

By DannyUncanny
From Vancouver
Sep 22, 2011
nick84 wrote:
My climbing partner and I are looking to go climbing somewhere in Jan/Feb. We are New England trad climbers (cannon, cathedral, rumney). We are looking for rock, we have no ice experience yet, so we must stick to rock. (Although mixed climbing would be sick). I've heard of Joshua Tree being a good destination, but I feel that's the typical route to take. Arizona might be nice, but we would like all options available. Any International recommendations? I checked Thailand, a bit too much after seeing $2000+ airline tickets. All ideas would be very much appreciated.

When you say mixed, do you mean mixed sport and trad, or mixed ice and rock, or mixed aid and free, or mixed as in ethnically diverse? It's a very ambiguous term.

By javi
From saint george area
Sep 10, 2012
Javi at cerebrus
St George ut close to red rocks, Zion, 1000s of sport lines on multiple kinds of rock temps in the 60s most of winter

By Matt Marino
From Georgetown, MA
Sep 11, 2012
Haul Bag
Based on your profile I'd recommend Red Rocks. There will be a lot of stuff in your range, weather will be good, cheap airfare and hotels and if you need to take a rest day there is a place called Vegas about 20 minutes away. If you get caught in the rain J Tree is only 3 and a half hours away if you need to adjust your plans too.

By Taylor152
Oct 3, 2012
It is staring that i was also suggest you to visit Thailand because you can found lot of activities there in a cheapest rate. Mountains, water falls, forest and specially beaches are so much attractive spot in Thailand.
You can save money in Thailand and enjoy more.

siamvisit.com/