Looking for a Climbing App

By Brian
From North Kingstown, RI
Jun 10, 2013

Iím looking for an app that will disable all electric devices (smart phones, cell phones, boom boxes. etc.) within one mile. This will ensure a quiet noise free crag where everyone is paying attention to climbing and not some Tweet, FaceBook post, email, or iTune. It will probably also provide the added benefit of less crowded crags as people under 25 will not be able to cope with no technology. They may even wonder what that tweeting noise is coming from the trees.

Anyone who can create such an app please let me know. I will get some venture capitalists together to invest.

A Luddite.

By Greg Halliday
From Spanish Fork, UT
Jun 10, 2013

I met a guy a few weeks ago that had just finished climbing Ancient Art. He showed me the pics on his iPhone that he was tweeting and facebooking whilst standing on top of the spire.

By rging
From Salt Lake City, Ut
Jun 11, 2013
CoR

As long it doesn't disable Go-Pro cameras. Too much valuable info coming out of the back country and making their way to youtube to disable that.

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Jun 11, 2013

A friend of mine answered his cell phone on lead. Obnoxious!

By Johnny Y
From California
Jun 11, 2013
Dreams of Wild Turkeys

That's right, if someone breaks a leg on a climb we should just all watch him bleed to death because none of us can call for help

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Jun 11, 2013

Johnny Y wrote:

I don't think anyone is saying don't have a cellphone with you. It's a good emergency tool, if you can't self-rescue.

And knowing some first aid is a good idea for all climbers. Your partner shouldn't bleed to death, whether you have a phone or not.

By Puzman
Jun 13, 2013
Little finger

Not exactly an app, but the electromagnetic pulse generated from detonating a nuclear weapon should do the trick. If you happen to have one handy at the crags...