Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Lockers on draws for anchors

By TheChen
From Salem, OR
May 17, 2012

Thanks

By Mike Smyth
From Spartanburg, SC
May 17, 2012
Stick clips can be very handy in this area to keep it a little safer

Both

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
May 17, 2012
Bocan

I actually have two draws with small lockers on both ends that I use to make an anchor/top rope.

Doesn't hurt to be safe and you can buy smaller low cost sizes.

The I have a double length runner that I use as a "cordelette" with 3 lockers. That I use more for multipitch, but I can use it either way.

By Tristan B
From La Crescenta, CA
May 17, 2012
Hanging out on Royal Arches

I just use 1 draw with a locker on each side and then 1 normal draw.

By mitchy
From nunya gotdamn business.
May 20, 2012

i use lockers for everything now. I don't even think i own non-lockers anymore. Sure they weigh a little more but who cares, gotta be careful.

By martinharris
From Glenwood Springs CO
May 20, 2012

it's got to be hard to clip lockers when pumped and griped though. Sometimes I feel like people try to make things too safe. One draw with a locker on the rope side should be more than adequate.

By 20 kN
From Hawaii
May 21, 2012

TheChen wrote:
Quick question, for those of you that do use lockers on your draws when building anchors, do you put the lockers on the chain side or the rope side? Thanks

The chances of you unclipping two opposed draws is ultra-small, so I would say you dont need lockers period. But that said, if you were short on lockers and wanted to use them on the anchor, the rope side should get them first.

By The Lingering Fart
May 21, 2012

No lockers necessary unless you determine it's a funky setup with the possibility of something interfering with the gate.

Simply oppose two draws.

By Sam Stephens
May 21, 2012
Top half of Melifluous

Tristan B wrote:
I just use 1 draw with a locker on each side and then 1 normal draw.

I don't use lockers on any anchor draws but his seems like a good solution if you want a locker and have people running lead laps and TRing.

By ChristopherAust
From Ohio
Jul 28, 2012
omg

martinharris wrote:
it's got to be hard to clip lockers when pumped and griped though.

Rock Exotica makes an "ORCA" locker. Stands for Open Regular Close Auto, where you can leave it open until you open it all the way, then it locks on closing. Especially handy, but take a bit getting used to because they open by pulling up on the sleeve instead of down.

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Jul 29, 2012

mitchy wrote:
i use lockers for everything now. I don't even think i own non-lockers anymore. Sure they weigh a LOT when you add them up more but who cares, gotta be careful.

FYP