Local climbing in anchorage area

By Chris McNeil
From Essex, MA
Apr 27, 2013
Radio check in after waking up to a break in the weather up on the high plateau of the Junea Icefield
I just moved to anchorage a month ago and am starting to get itchy with all this snow melt. Are there any good local crags or boulders either in or close to town? I checked out the service boulder by hilltop ski area, which certainly left a little to be desired... Any info?

By Dave Lynch
From Douglas, Wyoming
May 1, 2013
Sunny day on Lost Marsupial, The Throne.
Check out the Mountaineering Club of Alaska online or on Facebook. You can pick up a guidebook at AMH or REI too. Sunshine Ridge right by Beluga Point has several climbs and a couple hard to find areas before Sunshine Ridge on the Arm: Pivot Point and Crack in the Woods.

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
May 1, 2013
Did you try the search function on this website? I know this subject has come up before.

By drmartindell
From Homer, Ak
May 1, 2013
Climbed Sunshine Ridge area last Friday including some Morning Star Gully and up in the Thrombosis Gully or whatever that place is called. Sunny, dry, really nice. Check out the second edition of the Alaska Rock Climbing guide. Mountain Project has some climbs and info listed too.

Do you need a partner? I live in Homer but will be driving up off and on.

By Ty Morrison-Heath
From Bozeman, MT
May 1, 2013
Profile Photo <br />
Local good rock is hard to come by around Anchorage. alaskarockclimbing.com/ is the guidebook to have for the area. I tried to throw as many routes up as I could in a summer on MP. mountainproject.com/v/seward-h... is going to be the place for after work cragging. I have to warn you though....its pretty bad. Set your expectations low and you might have fun though. A new bouldering book is coming out shortly too.

By drmartindell
From Homer, Ak
May 2, 2013
Yeah, it's good to have realistic expectations, and the climbing is not phenomenal, however, if you search around you'll find some worthy spots. I've heard good things about the Byron glacier area and I've personally enjoyed the Hatcher Pass climbs I've done. That new guide book is pretty good about inspiring you to travel around. Good luck and I'm sure you'll be able to enjoy the summer months.