Little Yosemite Valley Wilderness Permits for Snake Dike?

By Rachels42
Aug 6, 2014
Hi, I'm a Brit coming over for a brief trip to the area. Really really want to climb Snake Dike, but the only time I can is a week on Saturday (or maybe the Sunday). The wilderness permits for Little Yosemite Valley are all booked up for then. The website says extra "first come first served" permits are available from 11am the day before your trip.

Anyone got a feel for how quickly the first come first served permits for Little Yosemite Valley get snapped up?

And just to check I've understood, if I wanted to camp overnight on the Friday night then the permits first start being available from 11am on the Thursday?

And in general any tips appreciated! Really looking forward to it!

Thanks
Rachel

By vincent L.
From Redwood City
Aug 6, 2014
First day of school
why not just wake up early and climb it all in one day ?

If you are set on camping out though I would just pose your question to the rangers in Yosemite , call them up .

Best of luck with Snake Dike , it's definitely do able in one day .

By Rachels42
Aug 6, 2014
I'm just a bit slow as don't get much of a chance to do multipitch, so want to get out early so can actually enjoy it rather than be stressed about getting down ok, and also want to get up before the rush so not holding up others once it gets busy...

But yeah, if necessary I suppose fair point :)

By mark felber
From Wheat Ridge, CO
Aug 6, 2014
What vincent L said, get up early and do it in a day. There's one bolt protected 5.7 move, and a fair bit of 5.4 and easier low angle slab after that. Between the low angle, the easy climbing and the lack of pro the climbing goes pretty fast. If you end up finishing late, walking down from Half Dome in the dark would be a lot easier than some of the after dark descents that I've done.

I found doing Snake Dike in one long day to be much more satisfying than doing it as an overnight outing.

By Tyler Wick
From Bishop, CA
Aug 7, 2014
ECM
I think they also release any unclaimed permits at 12pm on the day of entrance, so that is also an option.

By adam winslow
From Santa Barbara, CA
Aug 7, 2014
Chrysler Crack lead <br />Photo by Ujahn Davisson <br />Excellent belay by Bill Coe
I've done it both ways and enjoyed it very much either way. We got a wilderness permit and just hiked off the trail a bit and found a flat spot to make camp - plenty of places to do that once you leave the main trail and begin to hike toward the climb. I think you are supposed to be a mile from the trail to qualify for a wilderness permit but I didn't measure ;) I'd give an edge to doing it in a day because you carry sooooo much less stuff without all the camping gear.

By Rachels42
Aug 7, 2014
How long did you guys take to do it in a day? (from leaving the campsite to arriving back?)

By Shorthaul
Aug 7, 2014
Rachels42 wrote:

I did it in a team of three many years ago. All climbers of average climbing ability and hiking speed. We left the Glacier Point parking lot at 4-5ish and got back to the pizza deck by 9pm. Slow but fun day.

By madskates
From SLC
Aug 8, 2014
It really depends on how fast you hike, we woke up at 3 am and were back by 8pm but were rather slow about the whole thing. If you don't goof around it can be done much faster and still be able to enjoy it.

By Alex Mitchell
From Cincinnati, OH
Aug 8, 2014
Me Climbing
It is a very easy climb to do in a day. We were a party of 3 with one climber that was barely more than a beginner and got it done. We woke up at 5:30 and was at the car again at 9:00.

You spend more time hiking than climbing.

By Dan G0D5H411
From Colorado Springs, CO
Aug 8, 2014
Dan on Hurricane
My wife and I started hiking at 3am and were back by 2pm. We are by no means fast hikers. I felt we moved at a moderate pace on the trail and the wall but knew the directions very well before heading out. The amount of gear is absolutely minimal and you can ration your water well by taking iodine tablets or a Steri-Pen to fill up in the river on the way there and back. Doing it in a day was absolutely one of our most memorable climbing days together, especially since the approach past the waterfalls, in the dark, made it feel like we ascending straight into Mordor!

By aaron hope
From Walnut Creek, CA
Aug 8, 2014
Staying Warm on South Face of Washington Column
I too have done it both ways several times. Something to note - if you get a permit for Little Yosemite Valley, you have to camp at the little Yosemite backpackers campground. It's illegal to camp on the way there, behind half dome near lost lake, regardless of permit. This means that you wind up hiking about 1.5 miles out of the way to get to LYV the day before which you have to reverse the next day to get the the climb. And, in my opinion, the most time consuming and tiring portion of the approach (especially for first timers) is once you leave the Mist Trail which you can't avoid on climb-day if camping at LYV. What I'm saying is - camping at LYV doesn't save as much time or energy as you might think and you'll be dog tired carrying all your backpacking gear up the Mist Trail. Better to do it in one-day.

By aaron hope
From Walnut Creek, CA
Aug 8, 2014
Staying Warm on South Face of Washington Column
Oh - and I'm not sure about 11am. Check that time. It used to be that the first come permits were available at the Yosemite wilderness station at 8am. If you weren't in line before 5 am...you'd be out of luck. They may have changed the time, but you'll still need to get there at the crack of dawn to secure a permit.

By frankstoneline
Aug 8, 2014
Just bivy under the route. leave evening before, get there via headlamp late-ish and open bivy and it is unlikely anyone will give you a hard time.

By Tom Nyce
From Flagstaff, AZ
Aug 9, 2014
Down low, before the Y and the Railroad couloirs separate.
I've done this route in a day, two different times. Once with my wife. Once with my brother. We are all fast hikers, but not particularly fast climbers. Each time, we started hiking about an hour before dawn. Both times, I got to the top of the climb between noon and 2 PM. Got down in daylight.

By Rachels42
Aug 11, 2014
Thanks all!

By aaron hope
From Walnut Creek, CA
Aug 11, 2014
Staying Warm on South Face of Washington Column
frankstoneline wrote:

I've been asked to show my permit while walking up the Mist Trail - if Rangers see you carrying bivy gear they may ask questions. Its happened to me before. If you are going to bivy, be discrete.