Linville Amph. corner hand crack.

By William Rhyne
From clayton, nc
Nov 20, 2012

walking down the decent trail for the amphitheater i noticed a crack on the opposite side of the gully. if you do the first bit of steep, dirty, watery decent then you come to the flat area with a trickling water fall, there is a trail that goes around the gully at the base of the wall. if you keep taking this around then you come under a nice OW looking crack going left, then a short bit later the pretty corner hand crack appears. i looked on here for a route name and description but couldn't find one. Does anyone have any beta the the beautiful one pitch crack im describing?

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Nov 20, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.

From your description it sounds like Open Book.

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Nov 20, 2012

Cheers
T

By sanz
From Raleigh, NC
Nov 20, 2012
One of my first trad leads, on Ooga Chocka at Crowder's Mountain.

rock_fencer wrote:
Edit: I dont think he is refering to open book or turkey beard. Its further up the gully off the first wall you hit. More on the side of the mummy. Could be wrong though, vague description. i think i know what you are referencing to. If facing the gorge then its on the left. I've seen webbing at the top of the hand crack that you describe. Dont have any info on it. Nathan Brown or some of the other more prolific climbers such as Stegg or Jeep might know. I'd get a hold of them. Cheers T

This sounds right. I was with Will when we spotted it. The line is more or less directly opposite of Open Book, on the Mummy side, to your left if you are standing in the amphitheater and facing the gorge. It had some red webbing up top.

By Jcastleberry
Nov 20, 2012

Rattlesnake crack? I don't have any beta but based off the selected climbs that's what it sounds like.

By nbrown
From western NC
Nov 20, 2012
Top of Shortoff with the Bonsai

Yeah, sounds like Rattlesnake Crack to me. Fun route, and if I remember correctly, hard for the grade.

By William Rhyne
From clayton, nc
Nov 21, 2012

hey Nathan do you remember the grade on "rattlesnake crack" ? that OW ish climb just a bit cliff left, looks hard for the start and possibly kind of wet but that crack looks nice as well. Does any one have a more detailed gorge guide, or is it that i need to just master linville and just figure everything out from trips? I have heard of that Northern blue ridge guide that has the golden coast, linville river, all the stuff on 221 and such. does anyone own this guide?