Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Life in Grand Junction?

By Tyler W
From Utah
Jan 4, 2014
Scooby Snacks

Interviewing for a job and thinking about moving out to Grand Junction from SLC. What's the community like? Easy to find climbing partners? Cost of living? Close access to areas (climbing/mtn biking/camping/etc.)?

By doligo
Jan 4, 2014
Jose Cuervo Fruitcups dirtbag style

If it wasn't hot as hell in the summer and cold in winters, Junctown is an ideal place to live as a climber, IMO. Monument and Unaweep in the backyard, short drive to Rifle, Creek and the Black...

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Jan 4, 2014
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV

You'll have no issues finding partners in the Junk, & just shortish drives to multiple world-class climbing areas. Cheapish housing (for Colorado).

Plus, there's a Golden Corral.

and meth.

By Dave Cummings
From Grand Junction, CO
Jan 4, 2014
me on my redpoint

Moved here to GJ from the front range 3 years ago. This place is a great place to live as a climber. Day trips to Moab, Rifle, and Ouray. SLC and Denver are close. The road and mountain biking are amazing as well as endless hiking trails. The climbing community here is great, lots of very motivated people. There is also a brand new full sized climbing gym coming to town this summer.

By Ryan-GJ
From Grand Junction, CO
Jan 4, 2014

GJ is the hidden secret of Colorado. Yea, the summers are hot for a few weeks, but there are not many places in Colorado where slot canyons and 14ers are equidistant. No crowds, little traffic, head to the desert in the cool months, head to the mountains in the hot ones.

You can ride to world class mountain biking from downtown. Fruita has some of the best biking period. Horsethief trail comes up on a top of top 10 lists. Summer riding in Gunnison and Crested Butte only a couple hours away.

Partners, there is a local gym were pros, semi pros, and mere mortals all train togther. They have created an excellent climbing community including a local climbing advocacy organization.

The ice paradise of Ouray and Silverton are also less than 2 hrs away.

The Junk may not be as pretty as Boulder, but you can't beat our 2 hour day trip radius.

By george wilkey
From travelers rest sc
Jan 4, 2014
me

all of the above + Pablo's pizza on main st.= perfection

By Airbiscuit
Jan 6, 2014

In a word KICKS ASS! Oh wait that's two words. Bring your Mountain Bike.

By Tyler W
From Utah
Jan 7, 2014
Scooby Snacks

Additional question: if you had to choose between GJ/Western Slope and the Denver/Boulder/Golden/Brighton area which would you choose?

By Dave Cummings
From Grand Junction, CO
Jan 7, 2014
me on my redpoint

I lived in the Boulder area for 6 years and have been in GJ for 3 now. You just have to decide what you are looking for. The front range is an excellent place. Tons of world class climbing but also a lot of people. On a weekend it is hard to find any solitude. You get all the benefits of being near a big city on the front range. For me I like living in a smaller city. Living in GJ is pretty quiet. It is growing quickly and just getting better. If you don't like driving than the front range would suit you better, living in boulder I had so much climbing within 20-60 min. I am also a road trip junky. I regularly rally to Eldo for a day trip, 3.5 hours, just because that place is so awesome and then rally 2 hours to Indian Creek the next day or Rifle after work in the summer. If you don't mind driving a few hours GJ is hard to beat.