Lets see your dirtbag modile
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Nathan Scherneck
From Portland, OR
Nov 10, 2010
He took the whipper while trying to place his #1 Stopper.  So sad.
Lets see pics of your van, motorhome, or station wagon. Here's mine:

I bought a van a few years back and recently added a bivy platform with space for storage below. I've got plans to pull out the bench seat I added and put in a counter area. I'm also planning to add a couple deep cycle batteries, constant duty selenoid (for charging them), and an inverter to power my laptop and some interior lighting.

Camping at Albertsons, near Red Rocks
Camping at Albertsons, near Red Rocks

Keough Hot Springs camping near Bishop, CA
Keough Hot Springs camping near Bishop, CA

Before adding the platform
Before adding the platform

By Evan1984
Nov 10, 2010
Sweet rig. Vans are best for this type of setup.

Evan

By John Hegyes
From Las Vegas, NV
Nov 10, 2010
South of Windy Peak
Evan Horvath aka Evan1984 wrote:

Evan, I've got a rig that does just that. Look up ISOpwr by West Mountain Radio. I am a licensed ham radio operator and I wanted to be able to operate my radio from an auxilary battery that gets charged from the truck battery whenever the truck is running. ISOpwr is a product that does exactly what I need for $79.

I have a 12-volt absorbed glass mat (AGM) rechargeable sealed lead acid (SLA) battery with a capacity of 35 amp hours. It weighs about 25 pounds. You can certainly get a larger battery to fit your needs. I prefer the battery manufacturer Powersonic.

Here is a diagram from the West Mountain Radio that explains how to hook it up. Where the radio is depicted, that is where you can use any 12-volt accessories.
ISOpwr Diagram from West Mountain Radio
ISOpwr Diagram from West Mountain Radio

ISOpwr provides seamless solid-state switching. When the truck is running, the accessories are being powered from the truck battery while the auxilary battery is getting recharged. As soon as you shut down the truck, ISOpwr switches modes and the accessories get powered by the aux battery, and the recharging stops, saving the truck battery.

The ISOpwr uses the Anderson Powerpole connectors to make power cable connections. These are genderless connectors that easily crimp on to various gauge cables.

I've used this setup for a couple of months now and have had no problems. The switching is perfect and the radio never sees any transients, spikes or dropouts. My radio (ICOM IC-2820) uses 50 watts on transmit and around 5 watts on receive, so once the truck is shut down I can operate for several days of average use on the 35 amp hour battery.

ISOpwr by West Mountain Radio

John, KF7HAB

By Nathan Scherneck
From Portland, OR
Nov 10, 2010
He took the whipper while trying to place his #1 Stopper.  So sad.
Evan, I found good info about the wiring on this site:
cheaprvliving.com/howtohaveele...

By MarkGriffin
From Goretex-Vortex, CO
Nov 10, 2010
lizard.
Sweet van dude. Evan, check out this link. lots of other good info on his site too.

By Peter Stokes
From Them Thar Hills
Nov 10, 2010
Wall Street, Moab, UT
I've also got a full size Ford Van- in general, I prefer them to anything else I've travelled and camped in. I used to tour (music) out of an '85 E-150 with a bed, stove and sink- my current one is a '93 E-150 with the same setup. The photos show the steel frame for the bed, counter and kitchen area- I'm planning to add some wood doors below the stove/sink this winter. There's also a small shelf above the sink; this is for the blue water jug to sit over the sink when I'm parked- running water without an electric pump.
E-150 kitchen area
E-150 kitchen area

E-150 bed/counter frame
E-150 bed/counter frame

By Woodchuck ATC
Nov 10, 2010
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
Small Honda, gear stashed in packs, and a tent. I traded the vehicle comforts for the 40 mpg ride.

By Tyson Anderson
From Las Vegas, NV
Nov 10, 2010
Rapping from the top of Cat in the hat
Evan Horvath aka Evan1984 wrote:
Sweet rig. Vans are best for this type of setup. I have a P/U with a topper and sleeping system because I use it for other things, but I'd definetly have somethign like yours if my vehicle was primarily my home. Anyway, I'm interested in how you plan on wiring up power. I've researched abit, but can't find a lot about wiring the batteries so they charge as you drive. Evan

I plan on using one of these for my setup: yandina.com/c100InfoR3.htm

It's basically a relay that senses when your alternator is generating current (car is running) and lets both batteries charge at the same time. When the car turns off the Yandina isolates the two batteries so you don't end up running down and ruining your starting battery. I'm also going to have a battery charger in this system to charge the batteries up when I have shore power.

As far as inverters go it's better to try and run everything you can off of DC power and only use an inverter for things that only run off of AC power. Take a laptop for example...if you run it off an inverter you are taking DC power from your battery and converting it to AC power so you can plug your laptop AC adaptor into it which then converts the power back to DC so the laptop can run. Efficiency is lost at each of these conversions so it's much better to just buy a DC adaptor for your laptop.

By the Ascender
From . . . CO
Nov 10, 2010
My shadow is forcing me into the overhanging crux.
Peter, sweet setup man!

By Kai Larson
From Sandy, Utah
Nov 11, 2010
Tour Ronde North Face
Here's mine:

By Ol' Toby
From WA
Nov 11, 2010
A brilliant climb.
Hard to beat this customized rig...

supertopo.com/climbers-forum/5...

By BackCountry
From West Point, UT
Nov 11, 2010
Whaaaat?
I've seen the tent on top rig a few time but I just don't see how that's more convenient than throwing you tent on the ground. Then again I'm just thinking about my own drunken ass trying to get up and down a ladder.

By Nathan Scherneck
From Portland, OR
Nov 11, 2010
He took the whipper while trying to place his #1 Stopper.  So sad.
Wow! that thing is incredible. gotta have the Maker's Mark onboard.

By Happiegrrrl
From Gunks
Nov 11, 2010
I' getting ready to roll off cross-country on my first *real* road trip... I've lived in a van for a long weekend before. I've lived in an off-the-grid/no water cabin for the last 5 months. But I've never lived on the road for an extended time...so this should be interesting.

Here is Swanky,
Swanky
Swanky

and here is a link to the sleep platform build-out just completed(pictures).
happiegrrrlclimbing.blogspot.c...

I haven't gotten the rest in place yet. Picking up the thing from the mechanics(hopefully this afternoon....) and then have til Sunday to get set to go.

By Nathan Scherneck
From Portland, OR
Nov 12, 2010
He took the whipper while trying to place his #1 Stopper.  So sad.
Happygrrl, good luck on your trip. What spots will you be hitting?

By Happiegrrrl
From Gunks
Nov 12, 2010
Nathan - I will start out in Jtree and go from there. I have a friend who is joining me at the start of January, and my hope is that he will pretty much hang with me the rest of the winter(rope gunning, going where I might be to timid on my own, generally entertaining me and such - hahahah).

If that happens - I am hoping to really get around - Red Rock, Bishop, Cochise, Hueco, and a few other places. But of course it will be more up to him, since he is the stronger partner and would do more leading.

If he isn't as committed to the trip as I am hoping, then....well I will then see who I can dig up to go where. Easily Red Rocks, of course. But as for the other places, it will just have to be a matter of getting hooked up with people I feel comfortable with.

The agenda is pretty unset, at this point!

By Greg G
From SLC, UT
Nov 12, 2010
The route in it's entirety.
i don't think you'll have any issues finding partners wherever you go hippiegirl, even if your solo. every trip ive ever gone on i meet so many climbers and everyone is down to climb together.

By David Hertel
From Sitka
Nov 12, 2010
Climbing a coulior of steep snow on the First Ascent of: The Ship's Prow, near Skagway, Ak
Ol' Toby wrote:
Hard to beat this customized rig... supertopo.com/climbers-forum/5...

darn tutin! thats a sweet rig

By erik hamilton
Nov 13, 2010
gerty
home sweet truck
home sweet truck

this is Gerty i live in her about half the year such a fun ride.
this is Gerty i live in her about half the year such a fun ride.

By Shane Norquist
From Anaheim,CA
Nov 13, 2010
Ansel Adams I am not!!  But kinda cool. Base of Jubilant Song.
The Beast
The Beast

This is mine!

By Dan Carter
From Las Cruces, NM
Nov 13, 2010
Astro
Astro

Interior
Interior

This was my camping mobile for the last year. Pretty nice ride with AWD and fairly economical for a van. It's for sale now if anyone is interested. It's in Las Cruces, NM. Only an hour from Hueco Tanks.

I've gotten a VW rabbit diesel truck with a camper. It suits me better and much better fuel mileage. I'll put up a picture soon.

By Rich Farnham
Nov 13, 2010
Some pretty sweet set-ups here, but I have to know more about "the Beast". I've never seen a dually van before. How about some pics of the inside?

By RockinOut
From NY, NY
Nov 14, 2010
Gear
I'm actually reading this and writing this from my phone sitting in a walmart parking lot in flagstaff, Az...going to be on the road until mid december. Left NYC hit up NRG, RRG, Hueco Tanks. Next stop is Red Rock than Bishop. Possibly Fort Collins, weather pending. My buddy and I are driving/ sleeping in his Yukon Xl. Rear seat taken out and the front bench seat folded down flat. All our gear is stacked behind the front 2 seats and we sleep on the crash pads that are opened up flat in the back.

By KevinCO
From Loveland, CO
Nov 14, 2010
Rich Farnham wrote:

Rich,

This will hold you over until you get pics:

earthroamer.com/

By Kai Larson
From Sandy, Utah
Nov 14, 2010
Tour Ronde North Face
I don't really know how much mpg I lose. I've not kept track. It's pretty thin when it's shut. Wouldn't be any worse than having a rocket box, or other storage on top. There a several different types of roof-top tents. This is one of the thinner more aerodynamic ones.

They are very sturdy. Provided that your roof rack is attached well, you're not going to have any issues with it coming off the car.

Taking it on and off isn't too difficult, but it's a LOT easier if you've got 2 people, as it's kind of bulky and heavy (85 pounds) to lift up onto the top of the car with one person. It attaches to the crossbars of a Thule rack with some bolts and brackets. Once you get it lifted onto the rack, fastening it down takes about 15 minutes. Only difference between this and any other thing you attach to the rack, is that they recommend that you use 3 crossbars instead of the typical 2 bars.

It's pretty thin and low profile when collapsed, and I haven't had any issues with wind shear, even when a big semi truck blows by me heading the opposite direction, pushing a lot of wind.

It's super convenient. When you want to set up camp, it takes literally about a minute to erect the tent. Undo one latch, push up the tent, and it just pops up. Extend the ladder, and you're done. Way better/easier than setting up a ground tent, particularly in snowy/muddy conditions. It's just way cool, kind of like a portable tree house. : ) Bed is big enough for 2 adults (about the size of a queen mattress) and the mattress is super cush. There's an insulated liner for camping in really cold conditions.

I really like it. Only downside is price. They aren't cheap.

autohomeus.com/

johnL wrote:
Kai, I've looked into those tent bullet box things before. They seem perfect in a lot of ways. Am I correct to assume that you lose approx 4mpg with it? How sturdy is it, I'd be concerned that it'd turn into a wing on a windy day and rip off the top at 75mph. Of course I'm from Wyoming so these things worry me. Also, how easy is it to remove and install. I wouldn't want to drive around with that up there every day but to put it on and take it off 3-4x a month would get old if it's a major project. It seems like a no brainer. It completely opens up the inside of your vehicle for people and gear, allows you leave your bed made, requires only level ground, allows you buy a high mpg vehicle to tool around in. You don't have to unpack anything to sleep. The only disadvantage I see is wind resistance or more accurately, wind shear. Basically, tell me more.

By cdavis
From NC
Nov 16, 2010
Truck <br />
Truck

I have a platform built into the back of my 01 Tacoma. It's just high enough for my cooler, a few action packers and a couple of haulbags to fit underneath, and roomy* enough for me to sleep on top of all the gear. Ventilation can be a problem so I have a battery operated fan that will move the air around enough so that the condensation doesn't get out of control.

• When compared to submarine bunks

Definitely a few things I would improve (and will do with the next one, whenever this Tacoma dies, which will probably be another 100k, since I only have 200k on it now):

1. Carpet headliner in topper to reduce condensation problems and make it warmer in winter
2. Slightly taller cap (mid-height, slightly taller than cab) for more headroom/gear room
3. This platform system: pigseye.com/jackson/bed.htm