Leavenworth Bouldering, Spider Glacier, General Northwest Info

By J Miles
From Queensbury, NY
Jan 7, 2013
Flatirons

I will be in Leavenworth for a day and a half in August and plan to spend the full day hiking from Spider Meadow to Spider Glacier. I would love to do some bouldering the day before the hike. How are the landings on the problems? Will I need a crash pad, and if so, can I rent one anywhere?

The rest of our trip consists of time spent at Cannon Beach, Ecola State Park, Kalaloch, Port Angeles, and the San Juan Islands. Please feel free to share any info that a non North Westerner wouldn't know.
Thanks in advance!

By redlude97
Jan 7, 2013

what grades are you looking at climbing? Most areas need crash pads. Best bet would be to drive to the more popular areas such as mad meadows or forestlands and wandering around until you find a group and asking to hop on. Usually people are pretty nice about it

By J Miles
From Queensbury, NY
Jan 9, 2013
Flatirons

Shortly after posting I realized that I left out that key information. I'm assuming most of my climbing will be in the V3/V2 range, but I might be able to get in some V5s. Kind of hard to say since I haven't ever climbed outside of a 5 hour radius here in NY.

By Mr. Holmes
From Cascade West
Jan 9, 2013
#2

Gold Bar!

By redlude97
Jan 9, 2013

Mr. Holmes wrote:

While gold bar is great, hiking over an hour each way to maybe find people with pads working on problems in your grade scale range doesn't sound like the best idea

By T Rundle
From Belltown
Feb 12, 2013

Sounds like a great trip

By MorganH
Feb 12, 2013

Leavenworth is great, and the grades will feel super soft if you're used to bouldering in the NE. Mad Meadows & Forestlands are both good, but will be pretty hot that time of year. There will probably still be other boulderers there on the weekend. I don't think anyone rents pads in Leavenworth.

I would recommend parking your car and walking on to the ferry when you go to the San Juans. The ferries are kind of crazy that time of year. Take the ferry to Friday Harbor, and rent bikes to get around the islands.

By J Miles
From Queensbury, NY
Feb 27, 2013
Flatirons

We are actually going to be spending 3 nights on the island, so we are going to have to deal with the crazy ferry. We were thinking that we would get up early that day so that we can get on one of the first ferries. Any advice other than get there as early as possible? We have also decided to extend our time in Leavenworth so we are going to have time for another hike...any recommendations?