Layton Kor has passed away.

By Rodger Raubach
Apr 22, 2013
Rodger leading the first pitch on bishop Jaggers; 1985 ascent.

It saddens me to report that Layton Kor passed away last night. He had been in poor health for some time, and finally died in his sleep at his home in Kingman, AZ, as a result of renal failure and complications from prostate cancer.

By Sean O' Grady
Apr 22, 2013

Legendary man, with a legendary legacy. He will be remembered in the routes and the people he touched.

By David Appelhans
From Lafayette
Imaginate

I love climbing the routes he put up and thinking what it must have been like in his day. RIP.

By Richard Fernandez
From Flagstaff, AZ
Crack Test Dummies EPC

Very sad news... R.I.P. Mr. Kor, you will be missed. Thank you for your great contribution to our sport. Condolences to the family.

By "H"
From Manitou Springs
Apr 22, 2013
Axes glistening in the sun

This guy put up some damn hard routes without the modern tools we enjoy. Hardcore! RIP and condolences to the family.

By Ben Lock
From Cedar City, UT
Apr 22, 2013

What a legend. RIP. We will be forever thankful for your contributions to our lives.

By rob rebel
From Denver, co
Apr 22, 2013
I get excited over a large desert rack

RIP. Love his routes. What a legend!

By john strand
From southern colo
Apr 22, 2013

The great One--- i will dedicate an fa in the Black to him this year

By Rodger Raubach
Apr 22, 2013
Rodger leading the first pitch on bishop Jaggers; 1985 ascent.

Layton was about the quickest climber I've ever climbed with. We did the Northcutt-Carter on Hallett peak in just a hair over 3 hours in 1961, and that was placing and pulling pitons. We also did the "Bulge" in Eldo after he got off work one evening; 40 minutes car-to-car; again placing and pulling pitons. It's hard to lose a friend of 54 years! We ALL miss him!

By john strand
From southern colo
Apr 22, 2013

awesome rodger----- i love it

I climbed a lot with George Hurley from the sametime frame, great guy

By Bill Ballace
From Pullman,WA
Apr 22, 2013

So many classic routes with his name on them. He'll be remembered by climbers forever. RIP Layton Kor.

By climber73
From Fort Collins, CO
Belaying at Ouray

We had the immense joy of seeing him give a slide show in Boulder a few years ago. For being a legend in the climbing world, he sure seemed like a humble and wonderful human being. Thank you for the endless inspiration Mr Kor. Rest in peace.

By s.price
From PS,CO
 Morning Dew ,self portrait

May the four winds blow him safely home. A true inspiration.

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Rodger Raubach wrote:

A real loss of a legend..I did the N-C on Hallett's back in mid 80's and it took us about 12 hours!!!,,,some real classic Kor routes all across the southwest never to be forgotten. Our hearts go out to his family.

By Christa Messick
Apr 22, 2013

Lead the way my friend...as you have for all of us to follow. Such an inspiration to be in the shadow of... We will always be looking up at you!

By James Crump
Apr 22, 2013

What a man. What a collection of routes. My tears honor one of the greats.

I now haz some serious drinking to do as I toast this giant who walked amongst us.

By CJC
Apr 22, 2013

RIP to a great climber and true visionary.

Thank you for your routes and inspiration, yours was a long, rich life.

CJC

By Rodger Raubach
Apr 22, 2013
Rodger leading the first pitch on bishop Jaggers; 1985 ascent.

James-

I didn't really have this morose mood set in until just a while ago, but the man really encouraged me...a nobody in the climbing world...to aspire to bigger and better things. I'm breaking out my finest Cognac to give him a final "Berg Heil!"

By Clifton Santiago
Apr 22, 2013

The first harder Kor route I did was Outer Space. Totally gassed on the upper "easy" section, I found a rest and looked around. I saw the initials "LK" neatly carved into the rock a good arm and half length's away from me. That dude had a serious reach, physically, historically, geographically, and enthusiastically.

RIP LK

By Paul Irby
From moab, ut
Apr 24, 2013
chocolate drops and the land of standing rocks

R.I.P.
Truly one of the greatest and most inspirational climbers ever.

By Paul Davidson
Apr 24, 2013

Another legend gone but never forgotten.

By Chris Archer
Apr 26, 2013

Layton passed away with significant medical, funeral, and other expenses. Friends of Layton's have set up a website for donations in Layton's memory to help Layton's wife, Karen Kor, with those expenses.

The website address is: www.youcaring.com/memorial-fundraiser/support-for-layton-kor>>>

All donations go straight to Karen with no intermediaries and no fees. Please give generously and spread the word!

By Eric Wydeven
From austin, tx
Apr 26, 2013

An inspirational climber and a true hardman. I have enjoyed climbing his routes over the years. RIP Mr. Kor. Thanks for all of your efforts.

By kirra
May 21, 2013

Chris Archer wrote:
Please give generously and spread the word!

*bump* I just got to this, So sorry to hear :(

I never met Layton but glad I waited in a line @Neptunes for his show and some live-action stories not too long ago. RIP Layton~ thank you for all your sweat & years..

everymomentoflifeisprecious