large rockfall in CCC today

By ChefMattThaner
From Lakewood, co
Oct 20, 2013
ducking ropes at Copper
As we were leaving capitalist today there was a very large and continuous(3+ minutes) rockfall just west up the creek from the crag. You couldnt see it from the crag but the sound was pretty intense. I can't help but to wonder if this falls freeze thaw cycles are going to be worse than usual with the above average rainfall this year.

By Greg D
From Here
Oct 20, 2013
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W. <br />
This post violated Rule #1. It has been removed by Mountain Project.

By Greg Twombly
From Conifer, CO
Oct 21, 2013
Edge of Time, Jurassic Park
As a rock mechanics geologist I think it's a remarkably good question, and one I have wondered about myself.

By ChefMattThaner
From Lakewood, co
Oct 21, 2013
ducking ropes at Copper
Give Greg D a break, he isn't a troll. He is just still angry about someone bootying his clothes at Turkey Rock a couple weeks ago.

By Tom Fralich
From Fort Collins, CO
Oct 21, 2013
ChefMattThaner wrote:

Was it a jacket? My wife and I found one at Turkey Perch a week ago...and we were the only people there. We left it there.

By wankel7
From Indiana
Oct 21, 2013
Well....glad to see there are still friendly people on MP!

By Adam B
From Wheat Ridge, CO
Oct 21, 2013
Middle St. Vrain
ChefMattThaner wrote:

No doubt it will. Everything is still saturated or close to it. When the September rains stopped, every water fall in CCC was flowing BIG. All that water has worked its way into cracks and fissures, and with freeze thaw, things got a little loose. Simple weathering and erosion from Geo 101.

Greg... You're a real jerk, I hope I don't ever meet you.

By ChefMattThaner
From Lakewood, co
Oct 21, 2013
ducking ropes at Copper
Tom Fralich wrote:

lol I'm almost positive it was at turkey perch, but you should PM Greg D, all i know is it was a puffy jacket and a black pattagucci shirt.

By Greg D
From Here
Oct 21, 2013
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W. <br />
Matt, my apologies. Sometimes I take my sarcasm a little too far. I was quite grumpy yesterday. Thanks for being a good sport.

By ChefMattThaner
From Lakewood, co
Oct 21, 2013
ducking ropes at Copper
No worries Greg, my OP was kind of a DUH! question. I guess instead of asking "if" I should have asked "how drastically" and was truly kindve wondering if other climbers out there were taking steps to avoid such hazards. Personally I haven't climbed up in Boulder canyon since it reopened for this reason, although not sure if I'm really being any safer in CCC.

By Grant Gerhard
From Denver, CO
Oct 21, 2013
Edge of Time, RMNP
I was on Playin Hook (creekside crag) with a few friend last week and a block the size of a small fridge came off about 50 yards down and left from the P1 anchors. It happened right when the day was warming up after a cold night. We were thinking the same thing as Matt, but I'd be surprised if it's a persistent effect from the rains. With such hap-hazard phenomena it's hard to be very scientific about it :)