La Sportiva Ganda fitting

By Nelson Day
From Joshua Tree, CA
May 9, 2013
me (about to sneeze)

I wear a size 40.5 in Sportiva Miuras and am interested in the Gandas. Anyone have any advice on what size to order? I have tried to find these in stores to no avail, and don't want to order some via mail and then have them not fit well.

Thanks in advance!

By Paige Marta
May 9, 2013

I wear 41 TC Pros. I bought 41.5 Gandas and I wish I had gone bigger. Gandas have a narrow toe box and they are very stiff. I really like the Gandas as an approach shoe and I have done a lot of climbs in them. But if the approach or walk off is long, I have to wear a more comfortable approach shoe because my toes getting really f*cked in them.

By Taylor Lais
From Black Hills, SD
May 9, 2013

I wear 42 TC Pro and my Gandas are 44's. They climb like a dream.

By harpo-the-climber
May 9, 2013

Btw, gandas and Ganda guides fit differently.

By Nelson Day
From Joshua Tree, CA
May 10, 2013
me (about to sneeze)

Thanks guys. I went with a 41.5. I'll let you know how they fit. I have a sportiva foot which is pretty narrow, so hopefully 1 full size above my TC Pros (40.5) will be Ok. From most replies I got, people have gone between 0.5 and 2 sizes larger than their TC Pros (I got a few PM's as well).

By Dobson
From Butte, MT
May 10, 2013

Hopefully this helps someone else in the future.

I wear a 41 Nepal and a 38 W's Katana. My Gandas are 40 and are a snug performance fit. I wear comfy trail runners on the approach, then switch to Gandas for long alpine routes. This worked perfectly on the Evolution Traverse.

Phillip

By Mikecease
May 10, 2013

43.5 TC Pros, 45 Trango, 45.5 GANDA

By Mark Lynch
May 20, 2013

44.5 tc pros and 46 gandas.

Sportiva rules!

By Frosty Weller
From Colorado
May 21, 2013
Desert Tower

Any comparisons between the Boulder X and the Ganda?

(Boulder X fits me well in a 43. Katana in a 40.)

By Dave Cummings
From Grand Junction, CO
May 21, 2013
me on my redpoint

41 TC pro and all sportiva rock shoes
44 Ganda and all approach shoes and mountaineering boots from sportiva

I wear my rock shoes tight and my approach and boots comfortable, works for me

By Nelson Day
From Joshua Tree, CA
Aug 1, 2013
me (about to sneeze)

So after climbing in my Gandas for a while, I am totally happy with the sizing I selected. I have led up to .10c (sport) and up to 5.9 trad in them so far. They edge surprisingly well and jam exceptionally well. And they are holding up great! The sole will definitely wear out way before the upper, which is a huge difference from the 5.10 shoes I have climbed in. My last pair of 5.10 shoes (the Daescent) fell apart within 6 months from a handful of times I solo'd in them. The Gandas work well on hikes as well. I typically carry a 60L Cilogear work sack with around 30-40 pounds, and they were comfortable on approach hikes over a mile long. The only complaint I have so far is that they are heavier than I would like for racking on my harness for a multi pitch climb. They also seem to attract a lot of dirt inside the shoe somehow. I have to take them off quite a bit and empty out all the pebbles (joshua tree) or pine tree debris (hiking in the mountains), seemingly more so than typical low top shoes. However, I am completely excited about these shoes and the hiking ability and climbing ability make them definitely worth the money.

By RJNakata
From SoCal
Aug 1, 2013

Nelson Day wrote:

Have you had a chance to do some longer alpine approaches with that kind of weight on them? I've only used them for shorter distances and I'd be curious to know how it went.

I agree that they seem heavy on the harness (very "dense") and I've taken to carrying them in a small pack. They sure do hike better than my old Boulders (not "X" version!), however.

FWIW I sized +1.0 from a comfort fit Mythos...for a comfort fit Ganda.

By JacobD
From Flagstaff, AZ
Aug 1, 2013
Me on Half Dome Boulder, Middle Finger of Fury <br /> <br />Awesome problem!

My friend wore them for many approaches in the North Cascades last summer. Including a 17 hour day and his feet came out great.

By Nelson Day
From Joshua Tree, CA
Sep 16, 2013
me (about to sneeze)

Update on durability:

I have been approaching lots in these, and the sole rubber seems to be wearing out. The dot rubber began fading on the edging sections of the sole (due to leading and edging in them), and with continued use has begun fading in the general upper portion of the sole. I would say the dots are about 3/4 gone. I have been using them for about 3 months now, typically on weekends. The uppers on the shoes have taken a beating and are still in excellent shape! I will definitely get these resoled. They provide a very stable platform while scrambling over scree and great foot support when loaded down. Most of my approaches have been a mile or less and has included quite steep terrain, but at the end of the hike, I have no hot spots on my feet and the shoes feel great. I have also hiked through down pouring rain in them twice, during which they were completely soaked and muddy. After drying, they fit the same and the performance of the shoe has not suffered. They don't even smell bad! I always let them air dry in a shaded area (ie inside the house). One of the reasons I purchased these was to avoid sprained ankles due to slips, and I couldn't be happier with their performance. I anticipate resoling them every 6 months at this point, especially with Joshua Tree season beginning (much more agressive rock).

By ediza
From Berkeley, California
Nov 13, 2013

I wear a 42 in the Mythos and 43 in the Miura. I am size 9 in most US street shoes. I have a wide forefoot and am pretty low volume elsewhere. I bought a 44 in the Ganda and am very happy I sized up so much. Comfy for approaches and still good enough for climbing. There's a little extra room in the toe, but no more room than if I were buying a backpacking boot.

By Adam Floyd