Just moved to NYC. Looking for partners.

By Crag Dweller
From New York, NY
Mar 14, 2014
My navigator keeps me from getting lost

Hey everyone,

I just moved from Denver to NYC and, as the season approaches, I'm looking for climbing partners. Gym or outdoor...sport, trad, bouldering, or flat slabs in Central Park...I'll take whatever I can get.

Send me a PM if you're up for climbing with someone new.

Cheers,
Craig

By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Mar 14, 2014
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on stage

Hey Craig!

I just texted you back, but I also wanted to reply here so everyone knows what a great partner you are. My guy and I both climbed with Craig when he was based in Colorado. He was a great partner, super safe, witty conversation maker on the belays and always up for one more route. He did a spin with us in Eldo (he has cojones) and Lumpy (fast hiker on approach and the way out).

He leads fast and manages rope in a way I merely hope to one day.

So climb with Craig (when I'm not, of course)

By Kalil Oldham
From Brooklyn, NY
Mar 14, 2014
At the Harry Daley Base, Yosemite Valley.

PM'd.

By Mostafa
From Las Vegas, NV
Mar 26, 2014
Cujo 5.11d Red Rocks

Looking to go climb tomorrow at the gunks with some locals. I'm in NYC with my cousin with a full rack and rope. We are hoping to catch a ride up with someone split gas or rent a car a split costs. Call/Text 9one6.293.24one1

By Jon H
From Boulder
Mar 26, 2014
At the matching crux

Mostafa - just FYI tomorrow is going to be painfully cold in the Gunks. Only 15-18 degrees in the morning so the rock will numb your hands instantly, not much sunshine, and a high of only 42 (in town), which means the cliffs won't get out of the 30's. Bring handwarmers if you go!

By Mostafa
From Las Vegas, NV
Mar 26, 2014
Cujo 5.11d Red Rocks

Jon thanks for the info were are you getting your weather information? I thought it was supposed to be in the 40s...Im looking on weatherclimbing app and www.weather.com

Its the only day I can get out there so maybe I'll have to endure the suffering.

By Jon H
From Boulder
Mar 26, 2014
At the matching crux

Both weather.com and climbingweather.com pull their data from NOAA - the definitive weather forecasting agency in the USA. However, their forecasts are all based right at the forecasting locations. For New Paltz, it's the Poughkeepsie Airport - quite a bit lower elevation than New Paltz,(which is quite a bit lower than the actual cliffs), and much more sheltered from the wind.

I like to get my climbing weather from www.forecast.io which uses a statistical modeling method for "hyperlocal" forecasting, as opposed to modeling atmospheric fluid dynamics. This lets them create forecasts for any specific geographical areas, not just what NOAA calculates from their 140 or so radar stations across the US.

Interestingly, for tomorrow, the forecasts for NP and Poughkeepsie are actually quite similar. My comments are more just "local beta" - tonight's low is 14 degrees, so the rock will be brutally cold and numb your hands instantly. Tomorrow will also be fairly cloudy, not the mention the cliffs totally fall out of the sun by about 2pm, so you aren't going to get much solar heating either.

Bouldering should be fine. Single pitch and toproping won't be terrible, when you can stay close to your pack, puffy jacket, and thermos. But I'd hate to be the person who's stuck on a ledge belaying with just the light jacket they carried on their harness.

Personally? I'm going ice climbing.

By J. Serpico
From Saratoga County, NY
Mar 26, 2014

Just and FYI, while my weather app does use forecast.io, you can do the same thing on the NOAA/NWS site. Simply move the point (on the map) to the approximate location you will be. This will adjust the temps and winds.

By Tony Lopez
From NJ
Mar 30, 2014
L.C. Crack

The season is HERE, Craig!
Let's head up to the Gunks.
PM sent

By cms829
Apr 17, 2014
high e

I could use a partner this Saturday 4/19 for the gunks. Rack rope and car....Coming from Morris County NJ. Im only currently leading around 5.6

Anyone looking to get out shoot me a PM. Usual partners gotta work.

By Monique M
Apr 23, 2014

Hey all,
Trying to find climbers available during the week to go to the Gunks. Have rope and gear but don't want to be the only leader.
Can lead a 5.8 but can follow harder.
Cheers,
Monique

By Steve0
From DC
Apr 23, 2014
Forest fires seen from the top of the Grand. I think they were in the Bridger Teton NF, end of August, 2011.

Looking to climb in the gunks or the dacks a couple of times this summer. Will be based out of DC and will be looking for partners.

By David Coley
From UK
Apr 23, 2014

Hi, I hope to hit the Gunks from Seneca around Monday or Tuesday. More than happy to meet up with anyone.

By richard aiken
Apr 23, 2014

Craig, Monique, Steve, David:
I am heading to the Gunks tomorrow and plan to stay into June and need partners for Sunday to Friday every week

See my post for more details

PM me if you want me to call you

Richard Aiken