Jtree camping in early May

By jtmann
From O
Apr 14, 2013

Is early May still considered "peak season" at Jtree? If I arrive on a Friday evening the first weekend of May are my odds of finding a campsite (even out at Belle or White Tank) as slim as in March/April? Is Indian Cove getting too warm in early May?

By shelby beardslee
From 29 Palms, CA
Apr 15, 2013

Next week is supposed to be in the 90's in Indian Cove. Expect that to be the norm in the upcoming weeks. These last couple weeks have been slammed with campers. I would expect the 1st week in May in the main park will bring more of the same because the temps are cooler up there. Coming in on Friday gives you the best odds of getting a site.

By jtmann
From O
Apr 18, 2013

Thanks for the reply Shelby. I think if we get out there at a decent time Friday mid - late morning we should be able to snag a spot somewhere.

By Ed kelly
Apr 18, 2013

I actually had a very similar question, except I was planning on arriving late afternoon on a Monday. That seems like a reasonable time to find a spot, but it's my first time to jTree. Anyway have any input on what I should expect as far as camping and crowds. Thank you.

By Rob M
From Fullerton, ca
Apr 18, 2013

Monday should be good. Keep in mind Indian Cove takes reservations, the main park is first come first served most of year.

Indian Cove is 1000 feet lower, and hotter. If cnditions are windy Indian is more sheltered. The sites in the lower 60s at Indian are in a little alcove.

Ryan area in main park tends to be windy most of the time.

Jumbo rocks is a good campground, and right across from Conan's Corridor, which is often shaded. It is tricky to find, but worth it. you can walk there from Jumbo Rocks campsite.

By Guy Keesee
From Moorpark, CA
Apr 19, 2013
Big Boulder, just a bit downhill from Temple of Kali. Alabama Hills, CA.

HVCG.... soak in the JT vibe.

But real hard to find a spot on Fri pm....

get up early sat am... look at the campers, many move on sat am, ask if leaving.

Camping at JTNP is a freaking nightmare.

By Jace Mullen
From Oceanside, Ca
Apr 19, 2013

My trick is to at like 5-6 oclock, when no one is leaving but most people are back from climbing, drive around and ask anyone with only one car in their site if they mind me sharing with them. Usually followed by an offer of beer and splitting the site cost.