Joshua Tree climbing partner

By Tyler Smeenk
From Laramie, WY
Jun 6, 2013
Me with my Captain Morgan pose on the top of the Tower

Looking for a Joshua Tree climbing partner for either Friday or Sunday of this week. I'm only bringing my shoes, chalk, harness, and belay devices, but I'm willing to belay anybody. I can lead up to 5.10 on trad, I suck at bouldering, but I'm down to try anything. Hit me up if interested. I'll be flying into LA tomorrow, be at a wedding in the Long Beach area on Saturday.

Again, let me know if interested.

Thanks,
Tyler

By jellybean
Jun 6, 2013

Tyler, pray to the Devil instead of posting here. He could handle the temps.

By david doucette
Jun 7, 2013
Top of Intersection Rock, Joshua Tree NP.

I was just in jtree on wednesday, had a lovely and peaceful afternoon, in the shade of course.
But, yes, you may have difficulty finding partners as many climbers are too scared of the heat and head up to tahquitz. i'd recommend looking for a tahquitz partner on Sunday, you're sure to have better luck.

By Tyler Smeenk
From Laramie, WY
Jun 7, 2013
Me with my Captain Morgan pose on the top of the Tower

Hmmm, I think I'm going to need more than one liter or water it sounds like...

By cdelu
From Yucca Valley, Ca
Jun 7, 2013
Jackson and I at Smith Rocks <br />

I live about 10 miles from JTNP entrance. It is warm out here, VERY warm. If you get to the crap by 5:30 am you could have a few hours of morning climbing. If you miss that opp you can get into the park about 6:30 and climb until dark. It is beautiful out here but hot. You will have the park to yourself. Another option in heading up to Big Bear, which is actually closer to Long Beach. If sport climbing is your thing. If you have never been to JTree it is worth the trip, however.

By Tyler Smeenk
From Laramie, WY
Jun 7, 2013
Me with my Captain Morgan pose on the top of the Tower

Thanks everyone, I did get a lot of climbing in, did 8 pitches, nothing harder than 5.6 though as I was sans gear, but still had a blast. The local climbing shop was sure helpful in figuring out a solo course, haha.

By Justine
From Cape Town, Western Cape
Jun 11, 2013

Hey Tyler. Glad to hear you had a good time at JT. I was actually hoping to go there next week and also need a climbing partner. Given your luck in that front, did you find out about any bouldering spots? I might stick to that as I don't like solo'ing so much! :D

By Eric I
From Desert Hot Springs, CA
Jun 13, 2013

Justine-
When are you tryin to go Jtree? I don't have much gear, but could provide a belay!

By Tyler Smeenk
From Laramie, WY
Jun 14, 2013
Me with my Captain Morgan pose on the top of the Tower

Justine, I didn't do any bouldering. I stuck to routes, but if you do get a belay partner and want to hit up routes, I did The Eye (5.5), the Bong (5.5), Mike's Books (5.6), and B1, 2, and 3 (all 5.3 or so). I'm not sure what your climbing level is, but these are all pretty good climbs. If you do decide to solo, the B1-3 routes are all very easy. Stop in the climbing shop in Joshua Tree and see if Andy (I think that is his name) is there, he was very helpful, he told me about all the climbs that I did, he knew exactly what I was looking for, a good solo course. But he did tell me where the bouldering was, but I did not do any, but I'm sure he'd hook you up as well.

By Justine
From Cape Town, Western Cape
Jun 16, 2013

Thanks guys. Looking at going sometime this week but I don't have a rack either, which is why I thought of bouldering. Plans have most probably changed though. Eric. I'll post again if I do plan to come through. Tyler, thanks for the info!

By toddgordon
From Joshua Tree, California
Jun 17, 2013

Call up...I climb often and live in joshua tree..
(760) 366-9395.....it's hot this time of year...but fine in the morning and evening..

By Xicot
Jun 28, 2013

Hi guys,

Hope someone is looking for parterres too,

cheers,

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Jun 28, 2013

Xicot wrote:
Hi guys, I'll be in JT this Sunday 30th evening and Monday morning. I'm looking for climbing partner(s) for either of these dates. I'm in LA for work and I don't have a rope with me but everything else. I follow 5.10. Hope someone is looking for parterres too, cheers,

Do you know Joshua Tree is in the desert?
And we are in a heat wave?
And the predicted highs are 110?

Even Tahquitz will be hot, but not like JTNP.

By toddgordon
From Joshua Tree, California
Jul 2, 2013

Went climbing w/Xiot;...we had fun;...did two climbs;...a 5.7 and a 5.9...it was scorcing hot in the day (118 in 29 palms)...but the evening at about 6 PM on was cool and breezy and comfortable....amazing! thanks for a fun evening..