Jobs in Estes Park/RMNP

By Ethan L
From Santa Barbara, CA
Mar 3, 2013
Alyssa and I at Table Rock in Linville Gorge

Anyone have any suggestions for where to look for summer positions in either Estes Park or Rocky Mountain National Park? We're hoping to find jobs aren't to shitty, but will allow for maximum climbing time.

By Josh Schutz
From Silverthorne, Colorado
Mar 3, 2013
Morning Glory Arch

I'm with you on that one. My girlfriend just got a job at the park, now I gotta find one too. Obviously maximum climbing time should be included.

I'm sure we'll run into you on Lumpy sometime this summer.

By Igneous
From Murray, KY
Mar 3, 2013

Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it is not too hard to get a Job at the YMCA of the Rockies. It is one of the bigger employers in town, and is surrounded on three sides by RMNP. There is decent bouldering ON GROUNDS.

I worked there as a Rocks and Ropes instructor for 2 summers. Just had to take people on the zip line, high ropes, and rock wall. Hitting Lumpy ridge after work was regular, and there was time for big routes in the park on off days.

By Monty
From Golden, CO
Mar 4, 2013
Just a teaser

If you've got retail experience the Mountain Shop generally hire's some folks in the Summer. Also it's not a climbing shop, but the hiking hut is a chill place to work. The owners are great people. Any of the restaurants in town are a good bet too. Eds Cantina, Poppy's, the stanely is always hiring or if you're into Italian food, Sweet Basilico. Good luck.

By JustinJD.
From Denver
Mar 4, 2013

There is a new restaraunt opening up on the East side of town...Cable's End. Colorado owned and usually pretty good place to work from what I hear.

By Adam Paashaus
From North Carolina
Mar 4, 2013
After you get done climbing be sure to head up to the summit for sunset. Its only a 10 minute walk from the main wall. Don't forget your headlamp.

Just a heads up, summer is the busy season and shop owners usually want all the help you can give them. It makes getting lots of time off pretty hard. I second Monty on the Mountain Shop (my wife worked there) if you have (outdoor) retail experience. Any chance of working remotely? I have a couple friends that do that with photography or via the internet. As a whole the town is great but the small town cut-throat mentality between shop owners can be a bit petty but for a summer job it shouldn't be to bad. The climbing, hiking, and scenery cant be beat though. Good luck!

By lucander
From Stone Ridge, NY
Mar 4, 2013
Lucander off the GT Ledge on p. 2 of Keep on Struttin.

google "usa jobs.gov" and learn to navigate the labyrinth

By Eli Helmuth
From Estes Park, CO
Mar 6, 2013
Eli on the FA of Grizzly (M9) at the Den.

Spoke with the gate attendant yesterday and they said all seasonal hires in RMNP are "frozen" due to the sequester. Unless something changes, there may not be any job openings this summer?

By Step hen
From Fort Collins, CO
Mar 6, 2013
Boulder Canyon <br /> <br />photo by Curt

Ethan L wrote:

Aren't we all...

By W. Spaller
From Estes Park
Mar 7, 2013
Profile Pic

The real challenge is finding summer housing there. Its damn near impossible unless your employer provides it.

By Ethan L
From Santa Barbara, CA
Mar 7, 2013
Alyssa and I at Table Rock in Linville Gorge

That's one of the things we're worried about. Thanks for all the input!

By Monty
From Golden, CO
Mar 7, 2013
Just a teaser

I lived in woodland heights when I lived up there. Jack (the owner) was cool with a 6 month lease. Unfortunately it burned down last summer, but they may have rebuilt.