January climbing in Colorado

By Favi
Oct 16, 2012
Hey guys!

I've been living in Texas for the past few years and needless to say, I need MOUNTAIN! I'm visiting Breckenridge in mid-January for a snow skiing trip.....

This will be my first time in Colorado. I'm hoping to get out and do some climbing, but what are your thoughts on this? Is it safe (enough), considering the time of year and weather conditions? I'm thinking I'll bring along my climbing gear anyways.....you never know.....

Thoughts?

By Ryan N
From Bellingham, WA
Oct 16, 2012
RJN
In Breckinridge, unless you talking about ice it's going to be a sufferfest. Rock in January isn't impossible, but you'd have to hit the front range in places like boulder or co springs. Another option is to head west to rifle or even Utah. Good luck.

By Rob Dillon
Oct 16, 2012
Enjoy the skiing and come back some other time. January is often really cold and the sun is low in the sky.

By John D
Oct 16, 2012
Yeah, it's unlikely that you'll find any climbing in summit county that is enjoyable in january. You might find some climbing in the sun at garden of the gods, red rock canyon, shelf road, or maybe golden cliffs. I doubt you'll find much sun in boulder or clear creek canyons. I'd enjoy the skiing and maybe go ice climbing.

Depending where you are in texas, there is decent climbing to be had without going too far. Enchanted rock, reimers ranch, or even the wichita mountain wildlife refuge in OK. I'm personally partial to the wichitas, it feels pretty mountainous and the climbing is excellent.

By Favi
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks guys! :) Looks like no climbing for me....

Thank you again!

By 303scott
Oct 16, 2012
Any time it is sunny, hasn't snowed recently (within a week) and temps are above 35-40 degrees you can typically find great climbing in the front range. Try here:

Eldo- West Ridge
Boulder canyon- Blob or really any south facing venue
SPlatte- Cynical Pinnacle or Sunshine walls, Turkey rocks
CCC- Highlander, Dog house

By jmeizis
From Colorado Springs, CO
Oct 16, 2012
The Beginning of Mr. Clean (5.8) at the Barkeater ...
Good climbing can be had in the winter. It's a matter of luck with the timing and picking good locations. Shelf is by far the best places for winter climbing in my opinion. Lots of South facing rock and more mild weather than most other locations. West Ridge on Eldo is another good suggestion. Sheltered from the wind and south facing as well. South Platte can be good if you catch a nice day. It can be a pain to get to stuff though. N. Table Mountain is a good suggestion. The rock is dark and most stuff is south facing.

I would say BoCan and CCC are less ideal locations. Tend to be windier and more difficult to find the sun.

By Kevin Stricker
From Evergreen, CO
Oct 17, 2012
So funny how many people are completely clueless on how amazing the rock climbing in Colorado is in the Winter. You will be less than an hour from good climbing weather on average 3 out of 4 days on South facing cliffs. Last January was even better than average. I've climbed on New Years in a T shirt at Lumpy Ridge, Turkey Rocks, Eldorado, Quarry Wall, and Shelf. Those are just the ones that stand out. February is possibly the best month of the year for Colorado climbing at 5-8k feet on S facing cliffs.

But you should probably just go skiing...wait January is the usually the worst month of the year for that. Maybe just cancel your trip and come back in August.

By John D
Oct 17, 2012
the skiing in august is awful! so much hiking! :)

By RockyMtnTed
Kevin Stricker wrote:

You sound like a typical climber...

By Kevin Stricker
From Evergreen, CO
RockyMtnTed wrote:
January is the worst month? Based on what...? Less of a snow pack in November and December and by March and April the sun is so much stronger it cooks the snow a lot faster. You sound like a typical climber...

Your right... Typical climber. Why would I want to miss the best climbing season to fight crowds for scraps. I'll take midweek March powder days over January skiing any day.

By JJNS
Oct 17, 2012
January is my favorite time to climb at the Cactus Cliff at Shelf. Last year I climbed in a t-shirt and jeans on multiple days in January.

By Princess Mia
From Vail
Chillin' at City of Rocks
Ok, so you are coming to Brwckenridge on a ski trip in January. Well Breck is pretty famous for being the coldest and windiest ski area around (I know I used to live there), so on those cold and blustery days do you really want to climb???? Now the weather in January can be absolutely fabulous for climbing, that is true. But do you want to sacrifice the rare and wonderful moments skiing at Breck when you have good weather just to go climbing, on your ski trip???
IMHO I would either come climbing or skiing.

By coloradosk8r
From Ft Collins co
Oct 17, 2012
Mia's right...if your here to ski, then ski. Skiing is January sucks because you'll be fighting lift-lines and packed slopes. You think your the only one planning a trip to Colorado in January? So you'll want to get out early for fresh tracks and unpacked slopes. If you can find a lift that gets less use, lap it. Lastly, stay away from crouds by riding in the trees and out of bounds..but don't get caught

By Taylor-B.
From CO & AK
Mountain Bandito
Lots of hate on Breckenridge lately! At least Brecken-wind get's wind loaded snow days/weeks after the last snow event. If you don't like it go back to the front range or the mid west. The skiing sucks in Colorado 85% of the time any way, but the terrain park is always good.

By Evan S
From Erie, CO
Me, of course
coloradosk8r wrote:

Anyone who has to state they are coming to Colorado to go "snow" skiing in January probably won't enjoy the the trees and ob at Breck. There are plenty of bc gates to access peak 6, 5 and 10 now, getting caught only happens to people skiing the ballroom and mary's nipple who don't understand how to exit safely. Trying to climb in summit county that time of year is ridiculous. The south plate is just an hour or two away over hoosier pass though, and the front range is less than two hours away. Wasn't it literally in the 70's in January last year? It was in the last couple at least... it's a crapshoot. The golden cliffs are probably the best in the winter, and only maybe and 1hr 15min from Breck, that's gonna be your best bet.

By Princess Mia
From Vail
Chillin' at City of Rocks
I actually really like Breckenridge. Great terrain, the best wind crud around and if you know where to go you can always find where the snow blew too. And it is super fun snd soft. The town is pretty chill as well.

By Evan S
From Erie, CO
Me, of course
Princess Mia wrote:

Breck is an amazing high altitude ski area, anyone who disses it doesn't know how to ski. There is a lot of mediocre terrain, but it's so damn huge, the 15% that's off the charts still makes up a lot of acreage.

By JonnyGreenlee
From Evergreen, CO
Oct 17, 2012
Delicate Arch, Sturdy Arch.
If you are used to climbing around Austin, you will love Shelf Road. A bit of a ways from Breck, but well worth it. Bigger, badder, better limestone than the Greenbelt or Reimers.

Favi wrote:
Thanks guys! :) Looks like no climbing for me.... John, the areas around Austin are my usual go-to for climbing. I did get to visit the Wichitas once, and it was truly beautiful. Thank you again!

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
Oct 23, 2012
...
Totally AGREE!

"So funny how many people are completely clueless on how amazing the rock climbing in Colorado is in the Winter. You will be less than an hour from good climbing weather on average 3 out of 4 days on South facing cliffs. Last January was even better than average. I've climbed on New Years in a T shirt at Lumpy Ridge, Turkey Rocks, Eldorado, Quarry Wall, and Shelf. Those are just the ones that stand out."

Lived here only two years but had no problem climbing on ROCK, all year round...

There are PLENTY of climbs to do, even in the dead of winter...

By Dustin B
From Steamboat
Oct 23, 2012
Shucka Bra.
nobody posted anything about colorado national monument, some of my best climbing days have been winter climbing in the monument.

also, escalante canyon near delta will be fine as long as the suns out

By patrick sullivan
From silverthorne,
Oct 25, 2012
I work in breck,no climbing in jan. You can be climbing in 90 ~120 min. On a sunny day

By MikeS
From Boulder, CO
Oct 25, 2012
There's often a warm spell in Boulder in mid-January. Seems like I can predictably get out to Eldo for a few days in a t shirt on south facing stuff then. South Platte is often perfect for climbing in the sun then as well. And Shelf for sport climbing......bring your stuff, it will beat the skiing @ Breck either way.

By jeff frame