Is this Fixe Alien defective?

By Gunks
From Gunks, NY
Aug 16, 2012
I just bought a set of brand new Fixe Aliens. The Black one is different from all others:
1. The trigger wires do not have the button copper caps.
2. The trigger plate where the wires attached is thinner and has a different shape.
3. The outer cloth sheath has the Alien logo and is not attached to the copper rings at the ends.
4. The piece is an inch shorter than the blue Alien.

Blue and Black Aliens
Blue and Black Aliens

Blue Alien on top, Black Alien at the bottom
Blue Alien on top, Black Alien at the bottom

By CaptainPoopyPants
Aug 16, 2012
YER GUNNA DIE!!

By Unassigned User
Aug 16, 2012
I recommend taking practice falls on all of your trad gear. That way you know it is good.

By Sir Spanxalot
Aug 16, 2012
I have one and it look like that. I think it's different because the size is so small. If it is defective then we're both gonna die!

By Ryan Nevius
From The Range of Light
Aug 16, 2012
Mt. Agassiz
Ask FIXE. That's your best bet.

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Aug 16, 2012
...that's how they are suppose to be... Or did I just get trolled?

The alien sheath is probably just back stock that Fixie acquired from CCH

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Aug 16, 2012
tanuki
I wonder if they are using old CCH stock. Besides all of the differences brought up by Gunks are, the overall level of "finish" in the manufacturing looks markedly different to me. I will be interested to hear what Fixe US has to say about this.

By Murdo
Aug 16, 2012
I have a set of last generation CCH Aliens (including black and blue), and they are identical to yours. the differences between the black and the blue are normal. furthermore i treat the black like an aid piece unless ive nested a pair of them. they are just not as strong.

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO
Aug 16, 2012
The Cathedral Spires in RMNP, left to right: Stile...
Murdo wrote:

I took a 20 footer (.3-.4 fall factor) on a black Alien (manufactured in the 90s) the other day in a horizontal placement. Anecdotal, but true. :-)

By Sir Spanxalot
Aug 16, 2012
Marc H wrote:

Was it mangled at all? I'd be nervous to whip on one.

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO
Aug 16, 2012
The Cathedral Spires in RMNP, left to right: Stile...
n00bw1b00b wrote:
Was it mangled at all?

Nope. But the main stem has a slight curve in it now.

noob wrote:
I'd be nervous to whip on one.

It was backed up by a killer #1 Camalot about a foot lower. That made me a lot less nervous.

By Rob Warden, Space Lizard
From Springdale Ut
Aug 18, 2012
blah
I have a post recall black its the same as yours and a money piece to place and whip on... i was handling the new fixe one the level of finish in the lobes and around the springs is far better. Mine squeaked and seized. When it was new. The fixe black is smooth awesome...just my. 002