Is the Mammut Infinity worth the extra money?
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By James1987
Oct 30, 2013

Hi all, new to the forum and appreciate any advice.

After 6 months of climbing I'm looking to buy my first rope. Mainly I will use it for indoor leading at first, with winter coming up, but will get the occasional outdoor sport route too. In the Spring I hope to do much more outdoor sport and maybe the odd trad climb when I'm with people with gear :-p.

The ropes I have been looking at are the Mammut Tusk 9.8mm or the Mammut Infinity 9.5mm.

Because I have found a good price on the Tusk it means the Infinity will be about 40 more ($60-ish?). Just wondering whether the extra cost will give better durability/performance to justify the price? Some people say to stay away from the Tusk but others say its great, and I have never heard anything but good stuff about the Infinity.

Any other ropes in this size range (9.5-10mm)that anyone can recommend.

Thanks a lot,

James

By CallumRD1
From Lewison, ME
Oct 30, 2013

I would stay away from an expensive rope at this point. You won't really see the benefits of a thinner, lighter rope until you are climbing really hard or have very long approaches. I would go for a cheap 9.8mm rope. I personally prefer the Sterling Evolution Velocity 9.8.

By James1987
Oct 30, 2013

The Mammut Infinity is 10 cheaper than the Sterling Evolution Velocity. (remember I am in the UK).

I can indoor lead a 6b, not sure of the comparative grade but think thats about a 5.10c/d? Dunno if that would impact the decision?

Thanks for the quick reply!

James

By doligo
Jose Cuervo Fruitcups dirtbag style

Yes. Also, Mammut measures their ropes under tension, so the 9.5 Infinity feels the same if not fatter than Sterling Velocity. Tusk becomes stiff as an electric cord very fast.

By Larry S
Oct 30, 2013
The wife and I road-trippin on the Connie.

James - I love the infinity, it's the best rope I've owned - handling and durability to size/weight are great. That said, for your first rope, get one that's cheap and decent that you don't mind beating up with gym climbing. Personally, I use a cheap 10+mm rope for the gym, top ropes, and most sport climbing.

By Chris Schmidt
From Moab/SW CO

get the cheapest 9.8-10.2 you can find
but the infinity is absolutely amazing

By john strand
From southern colo
Oct 30, 2013

James-- english 6B ??? that's more like 12B here or French 6B ?

The mammut Galaxy 10mm is a great all around rope, but pricey for sure

By James1987
Oct 30, 2013

Yeah that would be French grade.

So if I was to go for a cheaper rope what would be some good options?

Thanks

By john strand
From southern colo
Oct 30, 2013

There have been ads for Edelweiss 9.8 here for around US $110, don't know about UK pricing though

By bearbreeder
Oct 30, 2013

for your experience level ... simply no ... youll be wasting the extra moola IMO

as a new climber youll be doing a lot of TR and moderate leads ... you dont need a thinner rope at this point and youll wear it out quicker than something like a galaxy or supernova

for your purposes simply get the cheapest 10mm rope that you can ... if you prefer to stick with mammut the supernova/vertex works fine and often go on sale for around 100-120$

as you can see i have some experience with mammut ropes and 2 infinities ...

gear ...
gear ...

;)

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco

I <3 my infinity

By doligo
Jose Cuervo Fruitcups dirtbag style

They don't top rope in UK. So all these arguments against getting a nicer rope are kind of pointless.

By bearbreeder

doligo wrote:

"top rope ... im on top rope ... TOOOOOPPP ROOOOPE ... top rope top rope top rope"

the brits i suspect TR as much as anyone else out there ...

;)

By cnadel

doligo wrote:

Except that the OP mentioned that he was going to use the rope primarily for indoor leading... If you plan on taking lots of falls and want your money's worth you should probably just spring for a cheap 9.8-10.2.

By Eric G.
Oct 30, 2013

FWIW, I don't know how you'd even really be able to appreciate the niceness of a skinny line if you never owned a fatter line.

My first rope was at least a 10.5, maybe thicker. I remember when I eventually bought my second rope - a 10.2 - and my girlfriend and I just couldn't believe how thin it was! SO FAST AND LIGHT!

Cue passage of time and several other rope purchases...

That 10.2 is now sits in a bin and is called The Furry Blue Monster.

By doligo
Jose Cuervo Fruitcups dirtbag style

Ok, I'll bite then. Since the OP is across the pond, maybe you can get good prices on Millet ropes? I've got their Rock Up 10mm rope and it feels and handles skinnier than my Infinity. It retails almost $100 less than Infinity (in the US at least). Has held pretty well through the whole summer of almost daily sport climbing and a few trips to the Creek.

By redlude97
Oct 30, 2013

If you want a cheap skinny mammut, I've been pretty happy with my Mammut Climax 9.6 I got for $125 at the beginning of the summer. Its soft and supple unlike the Infinity but the wear isn't too bad so far.

By bearbreeder

redlude97 wrote:

note that the climax weights MORE than the 10mm beal tiger

its often better to look at rope weight rather than diameter

;)

By pjheinz83
From Southeast Pennsylvania
Groove Tube - Tonsai, Thailand

I would say go for the cheapest rope you can get in the 9.5 to 10.2 range - especially if you're going to be using it in the gym. I ended up buying a 30m 10.2 for $55 to use exclusively for the gym/shorter outdoor climbs. I save my nicer rope for outdoor leading.

By redlude97

bearbreeder wrote:
note that the climax weights MORE than the 10mm beal tiger its often better to look at rope weight rather than diameter ;)

I don't know about you, but I use skinny ropes because they feed better and pack down smaller than fattys. Weight isn't the hugest concern, and I have my Infinity for multipitch

By bearbreeder

redlude97 wrote:

my 10.2mm tendon ambition feeds much better than my 9.5mm infinity in grigris and smarts

diameter is only one part of the equation of how a rope feeds ... anyone who has handled a slick beal/tendon 10.2 or a 10mm elderid python vs a stiff mammut tusk 9.8 can tell ya that

;)

By Mike Belu
From Indianapolis, IN
Summit of Rainier.

deals.mountainproject.com/deals/climb/Ropes/3400655

This has been a good, affordable rope for me so far. Save the $,and get some draws or a cam or two.

By Murdo
Oct 30, 2013

I have a Tusk, and while it is a really really durable rope it is also heavy and still stiff after 3 years of use. Have even hauled with it on big walls. Nothing will soften it up.

By Ian Cavanaugh
Oct 30, 2013

in my experience the Tusk is a price point rope. It doesnt handle well, it is heavy and in my experience it is not durable at all. I destroyed the sheath in less than three months and then got a core shot in the middle. There was nothing I liked about that rope and would not recommend it to any one.
The infinity is a great rope but still on the stiff side. Mammut's tend to also have a higher impact force and lower dynamic elongation than other ropes of the same diameter. For me those are the two most import attributes to a rope. along with the general feel and handling. For me Sterling and Beal are the two best ropes on the market. I have had mammuts before and liked them but they lose out in the handling category.

By Dave Alie
From Golden, CO
Photo Credit: The talented Pete Garceau

Having owned two Tusks and one Infinity, I would have to strongly recommend the Tusk over the Infinity considering the circumstances outlined by the OP. My anecdotal experience with the Tusks (which may be outdated since both those ropes are several years old at this point) is very much in line with what is being said here: they're heavy, stiff, and don't handle nearly as well as many other ropes. That said, both of mine were absolute work horses and I still use them regularly. I've beaten the hell out of them nearly constantly for years.

For this reason, coupled with the fact that you can seemingly always find a good deal on them somewhere, I think they make good starter ropes. The infinity is a fantastic rope and might be a worthwhile option a bit later on but it seems that if you're going trash a rope you might as well get one that will stand up to that abuse better, especially if you can save some money in the process.

Gym use in particular isn't the best use of high end goods, in my opinion. I've slowly come to the realization that it's worth having a $30 pair of cheap gym shoes to work out in, thereby saving the rubber on my outdoor shoes for when I'm on actual rock. Ditto for ropes. Indoors, or for navigating the learning curve, the cheaper the better.

By Baumer
From Boulder, CO
Easy Lieback

Having owned both the Tusk and Infinity, I would absolutely pay the extra money for the latter.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>