Is the CMC worth it?

By T Gryckiewicz
From Centennial, CO
Apr 30, 2014
profile pic
Moving to Centennial in late May. Looking to meet climbers and find some partners. Is joining the Colorado Mountain Club a good idea? In other words, are the opportunities/activities organized worth the price of membership?

Are there better/easier ways to find climbing partners in CO?

Thanks,
Tony

By Martin le Roux
From Superior, CO
May 1, 2014
Stairway to Heaven
If you're an experienced climber then you probably won't get much out of the CMC. Their focus is more on beginner instruction and hiking and scrambling.

By Kevin Pula
May 1, 2014
No. Just post for partners on here and meet people. Plenty of folks climb ing CO/Denver

By teece303
From Highlands Ranch, CO
May 1, 2014
Aiding. Photo by Locker.
In the last two years I've needed to meet new people to climb with in the Denver metro area. I met 4 of them off of Mt. Project, 3 through people I knew, 1 off of RC.com, 2 off of Denver Social Climbers on Meetup, 2 from Rockin' & Jammin's partner page, and 1 from just introducing myself in the gym.

I never thought to try the CMC. I used to be a member, but that was in the 90s, and I remember the outings being more geared towards BC skiing, hiking, and easy mountaineering/peak bagging than technical rock climbing.

Cool organization, though!

(It's weird, also, that no matter how many climbing friends I have, it never seems to be enough. There are *still* times I end up having to TR solo because everyone is busy. Go figure.)

By Kai Larson
From Sandy, Utah
May 1, 2014
Tour Ronde North Face
If you are a backcountry skier, then the CMC is absolutely worth it.

They have a very active group of skiers, and provide the opportunity for lots of great ski outings.

Can't really comment much on their other activities, as I never really participated in anything other than the ski trips.

By Matt Pierce
From Denver, CO
May 1, 2014
View from the first belay ledge on The Staircase (...
The CMC has good cheap instructional classes. If you are looking for affordable training they are good. I've taken their Basic Mountaineering School and Wilderness First Aid etc. I think the classes were like $30-$50 but that's been quite a few years ago...

Also - if you are a member I know you get 10% off of gear at Bent Gate in Golden :) (probably other places as well)

Signing up for their "trips" might be good for you as well if you want to get out and hike a 14er and meet some cool people...

By Ryan Watts
From Bishop, CA
May 1, 2014
Flatirons
When I was in CO I either met people while out climbing (bouldering or whatever) or on here. There are enough climbers you probably won't have any trouble.

By Mike Carrington
From Centenntial
May 2, 2014
Stemming up the chimney
Check out meetup.com. There are several groups you can join that arrange climbing trips outside and in the gym. Denver social climb, Rock and soul climbers and Rock climbers of Colorado springs.