Is it warm enough to climb in the Needles yet?

By amrutha renganathan
Mar 4, 2012
Red Rocks!

When can you climb in the needles? Is it warm enough yet?

Thanks!!!!

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
Mar 5, 2012

This season has been crazy, but the short answer is still 'no'.

By Tim McCabe
Mar 5, 2012

I was in the area for several years starting in 00. I think is was in 01 that we climbed at the Elephant Knob in mid March. The gate was still closed but we rode bikes in.

I was told that they used to open the gates earlier in the season, in dry years, but one year a late storm trapped some people up there and that was the end of that.

By amrutha renganathan
Mar 5, 2012
Red Rocks!

Oh no, so when do you think it will be clear to climb?

By Chris I
From Fresno, CA
Mar 6, 2012
First trad lead.

I am very interested in the answer to this question as well! I have a week off in early April and may end up there if conditions are good. Does snow/cold temps often take away from the experience?

By Guy Keesee
From Moorpark, CA
Mar 10, 2012
Big Boulder, just a bit downhill from Temple of Kali. Alabama Hills, CA.

The ass hole Forest service usta open the lower road as early as Febuary and we would always hit Voodoo Dome, all through the spring. Now the standard opening day is like Memorial day.... call the FS and bug them, I do so the more the better.

There are lots of great climbing spots along and around the Kern river, some of it is in the old guidebook. Kern Slab, New Directions, Book Rock .... lots more if you look around.

This is a great winter climbing place.

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
Mar 12, 2012

Guy, I think she's probably asking about the Needles themselves. The other lower Kern areas in the guide never seem to register much with other climbers.

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Mar 12, 2012
El Chorro

I was in the Needles last August. It was 95 in Bishop and all the way down the east and south side of the Sierras. It was cold enough at the Needles that I carried (and used) a belay jacket for when we wanted to climb in the shade. My guess is the high 40's in the shade w/ wind chill, and there was always wind.

That said, you can do a lot in the sun there, and the routes are short enough that you don't spend that much time getting off and moving on to the next route. Stay in the sun and stay moving and I'm sure you can get things done in cold weather.

PS, it's probably the best area I've climbed at... if you get a chance to go... GO.

By Chris I
From Fresno, CA
May 5, 2012
First trad lead.

Any news on Needles conditions or the road to the campground? I have a friend coming to town for Memorial Day weekend and we're looking to go up there, but I don't want to force him into doing a snowy deathmarch.

By Benjamin F
From Arcata, CA
May 10, 2012
Topping out, first time doing Juicifer without any hangs, November 2011

im also curious about the conditions... we're planning on going in a few weeks possibly

By knowbuddy
May 10, 2012
uh huh

Was at dome rock Monday and it didn't look like there was any snow anywhere. The road by johnsondale was open.