Interesting article about tendon pulley rupture in rock climbers

By Jon Lachelt
From Fort Collins, CO
Feb 28, 2012

I just happened upon this article and thought some people here might find this study interesting. I was just fascinated at how that actually carried out the study.

Pathomechanics of Closed Rupture of the Flexor Tendon Pulleys in Rock Climbers
www.jbjs.org/article.aspx?Volume=80&page=1012

By Dan Dalton
From Boulder, CO
Feb 28, 2012
Working the sick hand-jams on Stemwide aka Big Dihedral (5.8) at North Table. Photo courtesy of Scott Borger.

Thanks for sharing! Very cool!! Wonder how much the forces would be different with a lower age sample group!?

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Feb 28, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.

Mandarin. I need simpler terms as I'm not all that educated.

By Woodchuck ATC
Feb 28, 2012
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

I tore one over a month ago tossing a bowling ball....screwed up my ice tool grip this season!!

By Daryl Allan
From Sierra Vista, AZ
Feb 28, 2012
Me and my Fetish I guess.. ;)

"...One finger did not have a terminal event, and testing was stopped after the A2, A3, and A4 pulleys had ruptured because the forces at the fingertip and the excursion of the tendons exceeded the limitations of the testing apparatus...."

I want those hands!!! Implants perhaps?!?

By Peter Franzen
From Phoenix, AZ
Feb 28, 2012
Belay

See? If you allow your organs and whatnot to be donated after death you might actually get used in climbing research!

Very cool article. I have only suffered one torn pulley, but the mechanics of how much it takes to rupture one are very interesting.

By Ball
From Oakridge, OR
Feb 29, 2012
Sam Perkins; Ground-up FA; named because it's big and smooth

I read this when I tore my A1 on monkey finger this spring. I loved the part where the A1 pulley never ruptured. Why am I always the exception?

I took 9mo off. Damn thing still hurts

By Woodchuck ATC
Feb 29, 2012
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

First time I blew one out on a steep gym climb. The 'pop' sounded like a gun went off! Yes, 9 months was at least the minimum before I could push it near any strength limit once again. Been 2 months now since my bowling ball accident and not improving at all.

By Ball
From Oakridge, OR
Mar 1, 2012
Sam Perkins; Ground-up FA; named because it's big and smooth

Ugh! I cringe at any mention of the notorious "pop!"