Incredible Hulk Topos Wanted!

By Luke Stefurak
From Mountain View, CA
Jul 6, 2009
Below "Inspect Her Gadget" at HP40 after sending it the previous day.

I'm looking for a topo or two that show the routes to the right of Positive Vibrations as well as those between Sunspot Dihedral and PV.

Any information regarding Airstream, Tradewinds, The Venturi Effect or AstroHulk would be appreciated.

Any info on the Power Ranger start for AstroHulk/PV would be nice too.

Thanks,

Luke

By Kai Ewert
Jul 7, 2009

Don't have anything for you, but I would love it if you can post whatever your request turns up...

By Vic Lawson
From Bishop, CA
Jul 8, 2009
Me on top of South Howser Tower after climbing the Beckey-Chouinard.

Look in the newest edition of RJ Secor's "Peaks, Passes, Trails" The last peak in the book is the Incredible Hulk and has most of the routes on it...

By Luke Stefurak
From Mountain View, CA
Jul 9, 2009
Below "Inspect Her Gadget" at HP40 after sending it the previous day.

Seems like that book is the way too go. I will have to pick one up.

Kai,

I posted up a few links to topos here:
www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?topic_id=896599#msg89>>>

Cheers,

Luke

By Aaron Formella
From Atascadero, CA
Jul 11, 2009
The Grand Tetons behind Jenny Lake.

Supertopo has a free topo for it. www.supertopo.com/freetopos.html#red

By Nick Stayner
From The Magic City
Aug 6, 2009
Nick Stayner near the crux. Ryan Minton photo.

Hey Luke, Sorry I'm posting after the fact here, but the new Secor High Sierra: Peaks, Passes and Trails for all the most current info on the Hulk. Also, the dreaded rockclimbing.com actually has topos for Tradewinds and Astrohulk, posted in the route descriptions for each.

By Luke Stefurak
From Mountain View, CA
Aug 6, 2009
Below "Inspect Her Gadget" at HP40 after sending it the previous day.

Nick,

Thanks for the response. I bought the High Sierra book and it is quite good. Lots of info on all of the latest Hulk test pieces.

I was thinking of cross posting the AstroHulk topo on MP.com now that someone made an AstroHulk page but would like to get Dave Nettles permission first.

What I was really looking for was a topo that shows all of the routes together in one big diagram. Since the routes are so close it looks like many unlabeled variations exist.

This post was prompted because I lead a variation finish to Positive Vibes and I was wondering if it had been done before. There was lichen in most of the cracks but 30 years of hulk history make me doubt I climbed something new.

- Luke

By Luke Stefurak
From Mountain View, CA
Aug 12, 2009
Below "Inspect Her Gadget" at HP40 after sending it the previous day.

Still trying to work out the position of all the climbs. Anyone know which route this beautiful corner is on? Since it is a bit right of Positive Vibes and Tradewinds I am guessing it is the last pitch of AstroHulk...

Looks amazing!

Photo taken from the Red Dihedral.

By Luke Stefurak
From Mountain View, CA
Nov 29, 2012
Below "Inspect Her Gadget" at HP40 after sending it the previous day.

Looks like I never closed the loop on this.

Just about all the beta you could ask for in regards to the Hulk:

www.dreaminvertical.com/2012/07/incredible-hulk-101-tips-tri>>>

By Nick Stayner
From The Magic City
Nov 29, 2012
Nick Stayner near the crux. Ryan Minton photo.

Luke- that is a heck of a resource you've created! Thanks. I miss the hell out of the Hulk. Still the finest alpine granite I've climbed on. Can't wait to get back.

That's an interesting topo of the Sunspot you have. Is that the way of the first ascent? Everyone I know (myself included) seems to just do the standard Positive Vibes start, linking the first two pitches to the talus ledge, then doing one more short pitch and belaying just before the 10c traverse under the roof. Did you do it the way the topo describes? Just curious. Great post!

By Luke Stefurak
From Mountain View, CA
Nov 30, 2012
Below "Inspect Her Gadget" at HP40 after sending it the previous day.

So I think most people do it as you describe. The biggest problem is that those two pitches on PV are super crowded and I wanted to show another way of doing it, which has also been previously documented. I think this might be a variation on the way the first ascentionist did it. In past years the 1st two pitches of PV were climbed individually, instead of being linked together.

When I went up on SunSpot I climbed the left start which is supposed to be the original. This way is shown in blue on the topo as the Airstream start. It's got a hard move off the ground, but is easier in general than the PV start. After a gear belay, about level with the horn on PV, you go up and then traverse back onto PV and then do another gear belay below the 5.10c traverse, as you described. This limits the overlap with PV to about 50 feet and its the same number of pitches.

I've also climbed those PV pitches so many times now that variety is desirable. If you were really bored could start a bunch of other ways too!

I know some people looking for more difficulty on Sunspot do the first four pitches of Airstream. This adds 2 5.11 pitches to Sunspot, and skips the 5.10c undercling traverse.

By SirTobyThe3rd
Dec 1, 2012
Hello

You are a beast Luke, thank you for posting.