In Memory of Mike Neu (the Rock)
   Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>

By EdAsh
From CO
Mar 8, 2010
I received the terrible news that Mike Neu died on Feb 28. Mike was a totally solid climbing partner, and I felt could climb anything when Mike was belaying me.

My heart goes out to Mikes family and many friends.

Mike "Rock" Neu
Mike "Rock" Neu

A celebration of Mike's life will be at Eldo (probably his favorite climbing place) when the weather gets warmer.

Please check out:

ahlbergfuneralchapel.com/page....

for more information.

By Tony A. Davis
From Drake, Colorado
Mar 9, 2010
Pic
My condolences also to his family and friends.

By Charles Vernon
From Tucson, AZ
Mar 9, 2010
I didn't know Mike well, but climbed with him a number of times when I lived in Colorado. He was a great guy who had a calm, even-keel approach to climbing that made his partners feel comfortable. He would joke about he couldn't get his kids interested in climbing. I'm really sorry to hear about this, and condolences to his family.

By slim
Mar 9, 2010
tomato, tomotto, kill mike amato.
did mike climb at the BRC a fair amount in the winter? he looks really familiar. i think i climbed with him there a couple times, and saw him at eldo and boco some. if so, he was a super nice guy and it is a bummer to hear the news.

By Charles Vernon
From Tucson, AZ
Mar 9, 2010
slim wrote:

Yeah, that's where I met him about 5 years ago.

By matt fetbrod
Mar 9, 2010
Rock was an incredibly giving friend and the best climbing partner I've ever had.
Rock worked hard, read heartily, loved a good story, and always had my back.
I can't express how saddened I am to hear about his death.

Rock on Super Slab.
Rock on Super Slab.

By kevin murphy
From Lafayette, Colorado
Mar 9, 2010
road
That really f'en sucks. I only met Mike (Mitts) a few years ago, but we probably climbed a dozen times or more. Half of the time we were both partner less in Eldo, and when I would see him across the parking lot, a big smile would wrap both of our faces. Both knowing a great adventure would be ahead. I haven't spoke to him in the last 9 months or so, and that brings tears. As Matt and others stated, he was a great friend, and a great partner. I hope to meet his wife and children someday. The great ones always leave to early. I will miss you man, many great climbs in the sky.

RIP

Kevin

By slim
Mar 10, 2010
tomato, tomotto, kill mike amato.
'mitts'. yeah, that's him. really nice guy. i think the last time i saw him was last spring or early summer in eldo, or maybe up at castle rock.

By EdAsh
From CO
Mar 10, 2010
Hey chaps,

Thanks for posting up! Matt that is a great picture of Mike! I think lots of us climbed with him but knew him only with nick names. I met Mike, "Mitz", many years ago when he was rope soling several routes in Eldo. He used to live there in a trailer before it became a state park!

cheers, eddo

By Alison Conrad
Mar 10, 2010
I spent a lot of time climbing with Mike. He was a favorite climbing partner. I always called him my portable guidebook. He knew every route and every move. If I was leading and he noticed that I was hesitating on a move he would offer the perfect beta. I trusted his belay and always felt confident working on my projects with him. Everytime I climb in Eldo it is bittersweet. I know he loved climbing there and that makes me happy to get on routes that we climbed together, but also terribly sad knowing I will not be able to enjoy climbing with Mitts again.

By mikeneu
Mar 10, 2010
This is Kathy, Mike's wife. I just wanted to say how wonderful it is to read your stories and know how you miss him too. To see him in the picture from Matt was wonderful- healthy and enjoying the climb. Thank you for that.

When it warms, probably mid Mayish, the family wants to have a celebration of his life in Eldo. He loved it there and it would be the best place for us to remember him there.

If anyone knows how to get in touch with an old climbing partner, Godfrey Van Morsel? let me know.
Thanks again,
Kathy

By Aerili
From Salt Lake City, UT
Mar 11, 2010
The West Desert...it's not just for climbing, suck...
Hey Ed,

Sorry to hear about your friend. You have had a rough year in the friend department, huh?

Thinking of you,
M

By Godfried
Mar 11, 2010
I just found out. I'm stunned and speechless. I climbed extensively with Rock through the 80's. Best partner ever. Kathy, I have many, many shots of Rock. I'll contact you. Here's another shot of Rock on the same pitch, appropriately attired in best 80's style.

Godfried
Rock on pitch one, Super Slab.
Rock on pitch one, Super Slab.

By EdAsh
From CO
Mar 11, 2010
Matt and Godfried,

Thanks for posting the pictures. Please post more ...
Mike climbed so fast and was so efficient I am surprised you were able to get a photo of him!

Mike and I always talked about doing SuperSlab and Genesis(my favorite Eldo climb) but we never got around do it. My fault, I was out of my trad phase and into sport climbing.

Mike was great! He knew what crag was happening long before it was in any guide book. He would patiently belay me on my many redpoint attempts. And when I finally sent one route. He would smile and say, "What next, ed?"

By matt fetbrod
Mar 11, 2010
I've got a lot of photos, but they're all slides. It'll take me a few more days to acquire the technology to scan them all.

So often we climbed like this. Most days off, Rock would be at my house just after taking the kids to school. We'd head out and see what we could climb, good weather or bad. We had weekdays off and the canyons were ours. Sometimes we'd push ourselves. Sometimes we'd just hike around, looking up, scared to leave the ground at all. Those were the good days, all of them.
This shot is from January, 2000.  It was cold as *...
This shot is from January, 2000. It was cold as *!@#, and snowing on and off. Rock is racking up to lead "Stellar Drifter" at "Japanese Garden", in Boulder Canyon. He hiked it.

By mikeneu
Mar 11, 2010
Godfried it is so wonderful to hear from you. It has been too long. I would love some pictures of Rock especially for the kids. Climbing was his love and his legacy. Even my parents remember a slide show you put on probably with slides from Yosemite. I remember the slide from Joshua Tree where he is jumping across a rock? to get off the climb?- fortunately you all only told me about that when you were safe at home.

I am in the phone book in longmont under Neu. I would be happy to pay for the pictures also.

Thanks so much

Kathy

By mikeneu
Mar 11, 2010
Matt, you and Rock were crazy climbing in that weather- too funny. What a great picture. All of you need to know how wonderful it is to hear your stories and see the pictures for me and for his family.

By matt fetbrod
Mar 11, 2010
Yeah Kathy- totally nuts, I never thought I'd really, really miss days like that one in the photo. Sure wouldn't trade those days for anything now.

By Godfried
Mar 12, 2010
Still looking for words. Matt, I too had countless days like that with Rock. Whatever we did or didn't do was fine as long as we were outside. I remember many days trying to climb with numb fingers. Of course there was also the opposite extreme. Here's Rock on Glacier Point Apron in Yosemite with the thermometer nudging 100.
Yosemite.
Yosemite.

On Snake Dike
Rock on Snake Dike.
Rock on Snake Dike.

By matt fetbrod
Mar 12, 2010
Godfried- Those are great photos. Color and life. Man, Rock could climb in the heat. The hotter it was, the more psyched he got.

By Godfried

Rock.

Godfried

By Joseph Crotty
From Broomfield, CO
Mar 13, 2010
Maltese cross.
Any chance someone can move this thread over to the Forum->General->Memorial for easier finding?

BTW, RIP Michael - this was clearly a man I could relate to personally, but never meet.

By EdAsh
From CO
Mar 13, 2010
Hey Joseph,
I gladly move the forum to where you suggest, but I don't know how to do it. Could someone kindly give me a tip on how to do this.

thanks, ed

By EdAsh
From CO
Mar 13, 2010
Dear friends and family of Mike Neu,

I too was totally shocked and blown away when Kathy contacted me. It's been at least week or two and I still trying to deal with it...

I was lucky enough to climb with Mike nearly every day for months on end. Mike was working a grave yard shift, and would meet me at the "meeting place" around 8:30am or so. We would then jet off to some crag to climb until 2:30Pm so Mike could be home with kids when they got home from school at 3 Pm.

Sometimes I was late, and Mike would be asleep in the car waiting for me!

Mike was the "Gold Standard" of friends (and of climbing partners).
We dispensed with all 'climbing jargon like "off belay", etc' because we instinctively knew what the other was up to.

I was always amazed that whatever esoteric subject was on my mind, Mike was already well read on it and had interesting, thoughtful and non-judgmental insights into it.

Mike was there for me in a tough time in my life. To say I will miss him, is like saying I will miss me - he is and will be a part of me.

By Godfried
Mar 14, 2010
Cold weather climbing in the flatirons
Rock enjoying the cold.
Rock enjoying the cold.

By matt fetbrod
Mar 15, 2010
I'll let a few photos speak for me...

Kathy- I've got a whole load of photos for you. I'll call you tomorrow.

At Avalon
At Avalon

Vanishing Point
Vanishing Point

August 2001, Age Axe on the Spearhead, RMNP.
August 2001, Age Axe on the Spearhead, RMNP.

Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>