I'm going to Cochamó. Who's comin' with me?

By Evan Belknap
From Placitas, NM
Jul 10, 2012
Cochise Stronghold—me on the left

Hoping to make enough money this year to go to Chile and climb in Cochamó starting in January 2013 (as long as the world doesn't end...). That place being incredible looking and with all it's FA potential, it would nice to be the less strong climber of a party (or not—no me importa—just want to climb).

Any one going to be there wanting to climb a lot? Maybe make a plan out of it?

Also, any one who has been there or climbed in Chile at all, any advice is very welcome here.

ps. I'm fluent in Spanish, and a happy, competent climbing partner, getting better all the time.

By cjdrover
From Somerville, MA
Jul 10, 2012
Taken at MWV Icefest 2014.

Sent you a pm

By Dan Petty
From Colorado Springs, CO
Jul 28, 2012
Overlooking Roanoke, VA after completing the Blue Ridge Marathon the previous day.

-Get a plastic tarp to put above your tent.
-A rack up to #4 seemed ideal.
-Be ready to pay $100 to fly into Santiago if you haven't flown into Chile before.
-The free food bin tends to have copious amounts or rice, oil, and salt.
-The main effort of putting up routes is the cleaning. Get a few good steel brushes and something for digging dirt out of the cracks...
-Footwear should be capable of dealing with lots of mud.
-Take the time to integrate with the Chilean climbers. I met some great people there. Be aware, however, that many show up from areas with mostly sport climbing and don't realize that their ability to crimp 5.12 does not transfer over well to multi-pitch trad.
-Don't be scared to bail over to Frey near Bariloche, Argentina if the weather looks grim for a few weeks.

By Evan Belknap
From Placitas, NM
Dec 28, 2012
Cochise Stronghold—me on the left

Thanks y'all. I'm off in a couple weeks.

By Medic741
From Pittsford, New York
Dec 28, 2012
When I was a bum at Frey

Check out Frey and Bariloche!!!

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Dec 28, 2012
El Chorro

So jealous...

By Sirius
From Oakland, CA
Dec 28, 2012
Moving through the crux lock - now that's micro beta for you, that is.

Chile's reciprocity tax is now $140, I think.

You used to be able to rent gear, pigs, drill, ledge etc from Daniel, who owns the shack there in the big meadow with his family. That's was back in '04, not sure if anything has changed.

Going to Frey will probably make for more unfettered climbing experience and less bush whacking, sitting out rain, and general challenge. But if you actually top something out in Cochamo... you'll be among the few, not the many, and will be pretty psyched, I'd bet. Wouldn't know from firsthand experience :(

Even w/o climbing, Cochamo is an amazing place to visit.

Frey itself is world class.

By Darren Mabe
From Flagstaff, AZ
Jan 2, 2013
wham bam hand jam. Wrapping up the final moves of Twist of Fate, Oak Creek Canyon. <br /> <br />photo: Blake McCord

you can get there fast and then take it slow? Or is that kokomo?

By scottthelen
From Genoa, Nv
Jan 4, 2013

If your going to do FA's bring a drill and thin pins beaks and tamahawks.

I spent five days on a wall and got shut down because of blankness.

Cochamo is way more adventurous than frey.

Have fun

By kubes
From Littleton, CO
Jan 4, 2013
One of the most amazing sport climbs ever. Caveman (5.11d) on Thaiwand Wall, Tonsai, Thailand. The move above where I am is the crux, but stays pretty sustained the rest of the way. Awesome exposure and excellent moves the whole way.

Oh man I wish I could go, that sounds awesome. Cochamo is amazing, beautiful, and just such a cool experience. The climbing is awesome and adventurous. You really should check out Frey also since you're so close, it's really amazing as well, but in a totally different way. Cocahmo and Frey together make for a great climbing trip. I went to Frey after Cochamo and that's a nice way to do it because the splitter cracks and great pro at Frey seem so welcome after getting scared on run-out Cochamo flares and slabs. Bienvenidos a mi Insomnia is one of the many really good ones at Cochamo, and be sure to hit the super fun natural waterslides on the river. If you haven't already, be sure to check out www.cochamo.com Have fun!

By AlexThomsonF
Jan 29, 2013
Top of east buttress

Hey I am in santiago, I really want to head to cochamo but I have no climbing partner at this point. I can lead up to early 5.11 sport, and early 5.10 trad. I have a 60 metre rope, and rack. are still not in cochamo, and looking for a partner by any chance?

By Shawn C
From San Francisco, CA
Feb 2, 2013
Summit of Weavers Needle in the Superstition Mountains, AZ

PM sent

By GMBurns
Feb 2, 2013
Climbing at Morro Anhangava in Southern Brasil. <br /> <br />(photo by Isa Vellozo)

If he's in Cochamo right now, the chances of him replying are slim. Internet does exist there, but it's slow and I wouldn't rely on someone checking it if they're not crashing at the refuge.